REO Town Development

Comments

• City site is still showing the property as not being sold yet, and there are no projects listed for it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Urban Systems seems like their ambitions may be beyond their current ability to develop.

• I'm thinking the equipment is just being parked there and they are using them for the BWL wall. They installed some colorful panels on each side of the "REOtown" sign at the corner. I guess I would call the panels decorative rather than art, but they look good and add a little color there.
    I am hoping that Urban Systems is for real. They were talking with such certainty about their projects on the radio interview I heard. I think they may already own many of the properties on the south side of downtown if not the REOtown corner, as the signage changed for the parking lots and a couple of the buildings a while back. It would be a shame if they were all talk and no building. I think this all may hinge on the City Hall development.

• Over at Baker and S Cedar, there seems to be some renovation going on in the vacant brick buildings next to the karaoke rental store. That would really be something if these little old buildings are being repurposed. This block is the only part of the west side of Baker that remained after REO burned down and the rest was demolished. It would be nice if the city repaved Baker Steet it really is a mess from Penn. Ave to S. Washington.

• Those buildings have been vacant longer than I've been alive, it would be great to see something happen with them. I'm going to have to make it by there to check it out.
  • edited May 2019

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw this occupied. I do remember a time when they weren't open to the elements, but I think people use to live in the apartments above even if the ground floors were not occupied. I took my car over to Corbin's next door once for repair years ago. I seem to vaguely recall some building in this area caught on fire years ago (maybe late 00's/early 10's), but I'm not sure. Then on the other side of Corbin's was a rough bar where someone got killed in the parking lot, I think. I think they eventually closed, or is the bar still active?

Anyway, the building you're talking about is 414 West Baker, and here's what I found on the property look-up tool for a project filed on May 14:

Hello, We are very excited to begin the renovation of 414 Baker Street. This building has been in need of attention for many years. We have overcome many of the issues that have not allowed previous owners from making forward progress with this property. We look forward to working with the city of Lansing on this rejuvenating project. This project will be completed in a 2-phase process. It is our intention to renovate the structure to a nearly original format in the 1st phase of this undertaking. Our application at this time is for approval of Phase-1 only. Upon completion of Phase-1 we will make necessary application for Phase-2 which will involve installation of all new mechanical systems needed for occupancy of the property as an office building. The renovation of the existing masonry building shall include new roof, 1st and 2nd floor framing. The roof and floor framing will be supported by wood framed walls located on the inside of the existing masonry. The wood framed walls will be supported by additions to the existing concrete foundation.

It's currently in a "Commercial Plan Review." Looks like the bought the building last September from the Land Bank.

• The bar you are wondering about is still there and had recently been renovated and painted all Green and White. It's called The Lucky Strike, I have not been in there but it looks like a sports bar, and may be benefiting from being in the neighborhood with Kory's Lounge and Leroy's Bar and Grill which are both quite popular. I wonder for what propose they are going to use the building. If a building like this is being renovated that says a lot about the positive direction that Lansing is moving, and the investment made in REOtown is starting to benefit the surrounding areas.

• Well, we know from the description above that they are going to use it as office space. I guess we'll find out the "who" later. Maybe it's speculative office space where they haven't yet nailed down a tenant, and in that case, that would be really impressive they feel the market is strong enough that they could do that.

• The bar is named "Lucky's " and it's Cory's with a "C" just to be correct! What's good at Cory's anyway? There are always a lot of cars parked there. In hindsight, it would have been a better neighborhood if they set all the new industrial buildings next to the street instead of the office/industrial park layout that was built. Seems like a lot of wasted space.
    There are signs of progress at the distillery with what looks like finishing work going on. No signs of life yet at Pablo's but I do see workers still going in there. Up the street at "The Rusty Nail" they have been adding a copper feature to the facade and there are new large boxes of furnishings [I would think] near the door. I don't know if that means anything as this renovation has been going on for a long time but it is perhaps a sign of progress.

• Cool speakeasy atmosphere, excellent burgers, awesome waitstaff.

• I appreciate how much Corey's and Lucky's has kept their properties up and built the porches for seasonal weather. I'm glad they stayed in the neighborhood. I hear nothing but good things about the both of them.

Speaking of restaurants in the neighborhood, I passed Good Truckin' Dinner a bit before noon on Saturday and there were people all outside the place. Were they having an event that day, or is it just that popular on the weekends? There were a whole bunch of people walking and such along the entire block. I hadn't seen the area that busy since the Cadillac Club was still hopping.