REO Town Development

Comments

• They're popular and the inside seating is incredibly limited. Once the weather warms up it's common to have overflow eating or waiting outside.

• The Good Truckin'Diner is very popular especially on nice days and the weekends. It is also very small so will people wait for tables as the food is great. If you were over here on Sunday you would see hundreds of people going the Riverside Church. On Saturdays, the REOtown Market Place draws lots of people, they often have a food truck parked there on Saturdays. From there I think folks take a walk around checking out the other vintage shops. The Blue Owl, REOtown Pub, and the Saddleback BBQ also draw lots of people every day. It seems like the neighborhood is reaching that sweet spot of being an active urban place that is good for the people who live there and also draws visitors. I noticed another big house on Elm Street is being renovated. I would think that would be the next phase for more of the housing in the area to be renovated. This house was vacant so no one is being displaced, it would nice if the current residents were included in the renewal and not excluded by higher rents and taxes.

• https://eastlansinginfo.org/content/builders-hardware-heading-new-home-reo-town

Builder's Hardware of East Lansing is moving to REO Town looks like, 1009 S Washington where Hack's Key shop was (is?). Never been in the building but it's cool to see yet another place moving in down there.

A good move, I hope they have an uptick of business from being in an easier spot to get to. I'll have to check them out once they get settled in.

Another tidbit from the article is that apparently their current space in EL is the oldest commercial building in the city. Assessor shows 1915, I would have thought it was older based on the facade. I wonder what will happen with that spot development wise after they vacate.

• Oh, I thought I had the big news! On my walk today I noticed the new signs in the window. Seems like a good move the building is quite large and has off street parking. I think this may the first time I have heard of businesses moving from East Lansing to Lansing! This is the sort of store that will increase activity here in REOtown. One kind of strange note about that building, the front pane glass window has been smashed three times in four years most recently last month.

• edited May 2019

We were just talking about this building a few months ago. Glad to have a new business, though I wish they'd redevelop the site to something more befitting the district. But, this should fit the current usage quite well, and a hardware store is exactly the kind of thing the neighborhood needs. Danzo's on the block to the south was in the neighborhood for years before they couldn't make it, anymore, so this is a good replacement.

• I really want to check out that hardware store, it looks like they sell some stuff that will be useful in my houses restoration.

Hacks moved to the old Ferguson building on River St.
  • The BWL has removed the barriers from the Washington Avenue side of the great wall. It looks OK. It will be nice to use that sidewalk again.

• Up at the wall, they have been doing a lot of planting mostly perennial shrubbery, looks nice. I hope more trees along S.Washington are coming. They are also constructing a nice chrome[?] railing along the walkway above the river bank. I always remind myself that this could have been a cyclone fence so I'm OK with this project. Now it would be nice if the city filled the huge potholes that are in every pedestrian crossing leading to the new sidewalk. Up the street, The Rusty Nail is now the Rusty Mug. They have installed some nice looking awnings with the new name. Progress is also being made at the Sleepwalker Distillery with bar furnishings in the window. At Pablo's, they expanded the blacktop out back for more parking, can't tell what's going on inside. The new hardware store is going well. It's not REOtown but the fountain at Rutter Park is on, it's really a pretty cool water show the fountain puts on. Glad to see they have it running this year, I was about to tell the Mayor to call Las Vegas for some fountain advice.

• edited June 2019

Thought you'd enjoy this:

https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/7796/REO-Town-Historic-Survey

The city Historic District Commission is looking into making parts of the neighborhood a historic district. This details a whole bunch of buildings in the neighborhood.