Lansing History

Comments

• That was my thought too, which really stinks because you can see how vibrant that neighborhood was before it was leveled. Speaking of, I wish I made it to the history session at CADL where this was discussed.
  • I believe the gas station was at the northwest side of St. Joe and Butler Blvd. and could be still standing at that corner. Or it could be on the other end of the street at Butler and Saginaw. When I was a kid in the '60s we were taught never go this neighborhood as being white I could get in trouble over there. It was the kind of casual racism our folks taught us. When I see this little film of 1966 I see a nice neighborhood and folks enjoying a peaceful summer day in Lansing. There is a lot to regret about the destruction of this whole area including the racism that led to its destruction. It really would be great if somehow the neighborhood were to be put back together but I think the old belief that this is a "bad neighborhood" still has to be overcome and maybe what is standing in the way of its redevelopment.

• edited June 2019

Since it's South Butler it can't be Saginaw (Michigan divides the city north/south), so it must be St. Joe, then. And you're right that there is still an old building at the northwest corner of St. Joe and Butler, though for as long as I can remember it's been used as storage or something. It would make since looking at it that it's a gas station.

BTW, we talk of the neighborhood as having been destroyed, but I would like to note how much of it still exists. What the freeway and urban renewal did was take out the commercial heart of the neighborhood (main and st. joe), but a lot of the houses still remain. I know a lot of old folks who grew up in the neighborhood along Chelsea, Hillsdale, etc...some of their family still lives there. It bears reminding, too, that racism created the neighborhood as black families couldn't get mortgages and such outside the area; more than a few former residents will tell you that it was making most of a bad situation and that when they could move to parts of town with better housing, they were not sad to leave. Ironically, it's why Lansing today is way less racially segregated than a lot of other large Michigan cities.

All of this is to say that the history of the westside if a bit more complicated than is often portrayed. The LSJ's story a few years ago made that clear and I get that feeling from a lot of the former residents I've talked to. You look at the freeway, and you can debate whether it should have even been planned through Lansing. But if it had to happen, you look at the map and you wonder how it could have been less destructive. And then you also have to remember that it was built primarily to serve Lansing Car Assembly as more products began to be moved by truck instead of rail. It basically goes exactly where it needed to access the plant. The eastside got off luckier because it was able to ride an existing rail corridor for a big part of its length and then most of it was in the floodplain that hadn't been built on.

All that said, it is interesting to think of what could have been if the heart of the neighborhood hadn't been taken out. To be honest, I imagine it would have turned out a lot like the commercial district along West Saginaw, where it would have deteriorated over time. Though maybe it would have held up better since it was larger. Even in that case, I imagine it would have begun to gentrify like Old Town and REO Town, now. That's basically how these corridors have gone in this country. They've either become Old Town or West Saginaw; there is not much of a "middle" ground anymore as it concerns old retail strips.

• It is true that most things are not all good or all bad, 496 and M-99 were thought of as necessary, and it is understandable why they built them where they did. I was just noting that the neighborhood in the film was not a scary crime-ridden ghetto like my folks and many people liked to portray it back then. And of course, when you lived in an old house that was in disrepair back then [almost no one thought of old houses as something of value back then] it would have been great to move to a nice modern little ranch out in Church Hill Downs. Much warmer in the winter for sure!

• edited June 2019

Oh, no. I understood you. Just trying to add a bit of nuance to let folks know that the neighborhood is still there, if even reduced and having had its heart taken out.

A bit of history to add about the old neighborhood is that Union Missionary Baptist (in the intersection of MLK) is a block from its second home at MLK and Hillsdale, and a few blocks from its original home at Main and Division; Division was a small street that ran west of Sycamore and only from St. Joe down to Olds Avenue, so it no longer exist taken out by the freeway and Lansing Grand River Assembly. The church has been in existence since 1909, originally as the Hillsdale Baptist Church. An interesting fact about the church is that R.E. Olds gifted them $250 back in 1913 for having the greatest increase in Sunday schoolers in the city; they used the gift to enlarge the church basement.

The church moved to Hilllsdale and MLK in 1963.

I went there once for Sunday school after a neighbor invited us. That building was torn down about a decade ago if I remember correctly. The current church was completed in 2001, but they continued to use the old building across the street for choir practices and such until 2008. I guess the most famous part of its history is that MLK's uncle, Joel King, served as Reverend between 1950 and 1957. It was one of the reasons MLK visited town so often, many times before he became famous.

Another big point of pride for the neighborhood is the Letts Community Center a few blocks west on Kalamazoo. It's named after Richard D. Letts - Lansing's human relations director for 27 years and activist known as "Mr. Lansing" - and his wife Olivia, who was the first black teacher in Lansing in 1951. She became principal of Post Oak Elementary on the northeast side a decade later.

Back to the present, folks should take a drive down St. Joe west of MLK. This stretch is still really nice and intact. The residential section that the freeway seems to have hurt the most is the part of the westside that was cut off by the freeway to the south nearest the river. Closed in by industry to both the west and east, the railroad tracks to the south and 496 to the north, it's long sense felt like a little forgotten island. Not particularly dangerous, it's just a place that there isn't much economic reason to live there anymore. Kind of sad, because it's where the city's oldest existing house stands on Malcolm X.

• Which house is that? I could be wrong! but I thought the oldest house was 1214 Center Street in Old Town. What is The General Consulate of Morrocan Empire? it sounds like they located in the wrong Capital City. It always pops up on my googlemaps.com when I look at the west side.
    I remember that church and Mr. and Mrs. Letts. They were both admirable people. I did not notice that the big church in the median of MLK was the same congregation or that a King was a Pastor there. A lot of asphalt over there! Many of homes over there nearer to MLK that may have been built in the late19th Century and to help the neighborhood create a better identity these homes and other 100+-year-old buildings could be noted in some way like a little plaque tell saying when the house was built and that it is one of Lansing's Historic Vintage Homes or something like that.
    I have this fantasy idea of covering over 496 from Grand Ave to Everett and building homes parks and businesses, connecting the old streets and sewing our city back together. Hey, they did it in Boston and our highway is already "depressed".

• edited June 2019

The Kilbourne-Mead House on Center Street and 2003 West Malcolm X/Main on the block in between Everett and Buffalo both seem to lay claim to the oldest. Some give the date of the Kilbourne-Mead as having been built in 1847. The city gives 2003 West Malcolm X a date of 1850, but most agree that it was built before then.

As for the The General Consulate of Morrocan Empire, I've never heard of such a thing. Where is it exactly? Looking it up, it sounds like an international cult and/or some sovereign citizens crap, quite frankly:

https://www.facebook.com/GCMEA

• Oh yes, that house does stand out from the neighborhood because of it's Federalist [Greek revival] style. It also has a large lot maybe it was a farmhouse on the edge of town when it was built. I seem to remember something about a Governor living there at one time. I think if they did create some kind of commemorative plaque for the antique homeowners to display it might inspire people to take better care of their homes.
    The Morrocan site always pops up on my google maps, why? it just looks like a house with an impressive sounding name. Could be a church or a social club like the Free Masons that uses African/Arabic names and symbols. Do we have a Morrocan community in Lansing? I see a clubhouse for Samolis up on Pennsylvania, so it's possible, we have people from all over the world living here these days. I'll check out the facebook.

• It's funny you mention this area (South of 496, north of the river and west of MLK), because as a resident I can definitely say it sometimes feels like we're forgotten. We are technically part of the Westside Neighborhood Association and they have been doing what they can to keep us involved. I've lived there since 2007 and honestly love the area. While it has changed since I've moved in, people who had lived there since the 60's passing away now changing to younger generations, or unfortunately, rentals galore, it's still a community where we all know whats going on. Over the last decade or so, various programs have completely rehabbed several homes over here. I've also rehabbed the one I moved into. Of course, I would love some more action in the neighborhood from the city and residents but it is, unfortunately, so sectioned off from everything.

As far as the house on Malcolm X goes, I recall reading an article that it was originally located downtown and intended to be the Governor's mansion, but none ever lived in it. When it was facing demolition, an architect had it moved to its current location and lived there until his death in either the 80's or early 90's I believe.

• Ah, yes. I remember now; it's called the Governor's House.

Happy to hear about the goings on in this part of the Westside Neighborhood. I've always thought it was a shame that GM didn't built neighborhood retail on its lots in between the two section of MLK for that part of the neighborhood; it's not like they ever fully use them for anything, anymore, since they demolished Lansing Car Assembly. You guys don't have any retail within walking distance; like a total desert. Honestly, the closest thing you got is the gas station on the corner of MLK and Malcom X.