Streets & Transit

Comments

• I think the first ones are to replace some of the reticulated buses, but I also believe they bought some to replace their regular fleet. Systems like this are always buying as they have to replace the oldest part of their fleet on a regular basis.

• Is there any update on the possibility of BRT or is it essentially dead?

• edited August 2019

The project was suspended well over two years ago. The new CEO didn't want to deal with it, and the Trump administration cut funding for these smaller projects when they came into power.

• Gotcha, I knew it was suspended, I was just curious if there was any hope of reviving it.

• The lanes on this road are so wide. Also, looks like there is no complete streets treatment on this. Seems like the city is disregarding its own ordinances.

• Wow, would you look at that! I am going to enjoy using this street again, I was walking down there this spring and I was so disgusted with the condition of the street, all the potholes and broken pavement thrown up unto the sidewalk, it was really so depressing I decided not to drive or walk down Capitol Ave anymore. To me, it is almost criminal what has happened to our streets and highways, and this era of just letting things fall apart will end up costing so much more to repair now that there seems some will to do so. It seemed almost a purposeful neglect to show urban citizens that government does not work, and it can not even take care of the roads. Thankfully it seems like that era may be over, it might be a good idea to study just what happened and why so that when we have the money and will we can learn from the mistakes of the past and build a city that we citizens deserve.

• edited August 2019

LAN, this is a resurfacing, not a street reconstruction or reconfiguration. In any case, it's only a three-lane road with two parking lanes. When it goes two-way next year it's going to feel even tighter. The ordinance is also a rather weak one, as it doesn't mandate anything. It literally says "To the extent financially feasible..." when it talks of a the implementation of Complete Streets .

Lastly, I don't believe Capitol is one of the streets in the non-motorized network masterplan, so it wouldn't be required on Capitol, anyway, anyway.

• Good point. The ordinance does not seem to mean much then. I am not surprise though.