Streets & Transit

Comments

• edited July 2023
    I haven't seen any details on the aesthetic bits of the project but I'm a big fan of the slightly wider sidewalks, proper separated bike lanes and the curb bump outs at crosswalks, I'm slightly confused by the asymmetric lane configuration but I don't have any complaints either. I expect the ROW will probably be brick pavers similar to Michigan west of Penn and I hope that the upgraded traffic lights are on fixed poles, besides that I can't think of any more personal wish-list items from me.

Relevant links:
    https://www.wilx.com/2023/07/13/part-michigan-avenue-lansing-undergo-full-reconstruction/
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/07/13/lansing-michigan-avenue-reconstruction-lanes-bicycles/70409712007/
    https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/michigan-avenue-corridor-revamp-starts-in-october,62214

https://www.lansingmi.gov/1091/Michigan-Avenue-Rehabilitation

EDIT: After looking at the more detailed construction plans on the city's website I see that the traffic lights will unfortunately be on wires and I can't see anywhere that it specifies what materials will be used to pave the ROW. One positive thing that I do see that they are including planting boxes in addition to the trees all along the street, that should be a nice touch as long as they're maintained.
  • Yeah, it is a pretty basic street reconfiguration, not really a streetscape project. What I'm excited about is the elevated pathways next to the sidewalks.

It's funny, because I've been down Michigan the past few days and can't even imagine there is enough room for all of this, but there it is in the profiles. As for the auto traffic lanes, I guess they found that trips are heavier in-bound in the morning than out-bound in the afternoon. Though, honestly, I think they could have gotten away with one lane in each direction + the turn lane.
  • Thanks for all the information, I wonder if repaving the rest of E Michigan is planned as part of the Red Cedar project. It looks like this project will end at Clippert St.
  • Yes, it's my understanding that when they get through with all of the heavy work, that the street will be repair as part of the overall project. It's supposed to happen some time this year.
  • Citykid,

I've been here all these years, but something just struck me, yesterday. The parking lane on the east side of Larch between Shiawassee and Saginaw continues north of Saginaw to Grand River, basically. But it appears that it hasn't been use for street parking for decades...so it's just kind of completely wasted right-of-way.

There is enough room where you could bump out the curb and added bike pathway right next to the side. See if this is something you could raise with the relevant parties (public service, etc). I know the mayor has been pretty officially interested in unused or poorly used city-owned property, so this is kind of right in that wheelhouse. It might even be a means by which the city could expand the east side pathway northwards, or even just add it as an additional leg/branch for better pedestrian and cycle connections with Old Town to the west.
  • Being as how it's a state route I can't imagine the city would have an easy time getting that done. I would personally rather see that money invested into the N East pathway that's set to run along the nearby parallel RR tracks, go behind the Wood St landfill then split to connect both to Granger Meadows and to Coleman & Wood where it will tie into East Lansing's Northern Tier Trail. If Larch develops as I'd expect it to having on-street parking would be a positive, it'd be a lot better if they add the curb bump outs at corners and pedestrian crossings whenever the street gets redone.
  • MichMatters - Not to be jaded but my thoughts about Cedar-Larch-Oakland-Saginaw just disappear into the void. But I asked internally. Public Service said it looks feasible so I am going to try to broach it with MDOT. I wish there was a more consistent push from above to redesign these streets for all the development that is coming, but it just isn't there. I mean we are still waiting for completion of the two-way conversions downtown and the bike lanes.
  • Not to beat a dead horse or offend, but it sounds to me like we need a new administration. I've heard rumblings in the recent past of Bob Trezise possibly running, I'd be mildly optimistic about that.
  • Apparently the city is getting ready to remove the islands on MLK between Ionia and Lenawee and turning the street into 5 lanes. Did I miss this? Has it been discussed here? The City Pulse article isn't very clear on what this will actually look like, I'm wondering what side of the road is going to be getting a bigger ROW? I'm not a fan of the idea based on what little I know about it.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/city-planning-to-remove-islands-on-martin-luther-king-jr-blvd,87296
  • edited February 23
    I brought it up last April. I'm unsure of what happens to all of the extra right-of-way. I'm starting to understand why they've planned this, and it's something I hadn't thought about. Allegan and Ottawa going two-ways makes it more dangerous to keep the intersection as a boulevard, particularly for left turns off of those two streets southbound.

Anyway, it'd make the most sense, of course, to align it with the roadway north of Ionia, but you never know what they're going to do. lol Perhaps will get some plans in the upcoming committee and council agendas. It is a bit weird that they STILL haven't put out anything officially about this like they did for the two-way conversion, for which they had an entire webpage ready.