Southside Lansing Development

Comments

• It looked like a lot of equipment was there, I was hoping something new was being built. There was once a mmj shop in the building across the street and one in the strip mall behind the new storage building. That was in the wild old days two years ago! On that subject while it was kind of out of control, the number and choices of shops in town was keeping the prices low. Now with only a few shops most of which are owned by the same company the prices are rising to point where I think people will return to the black market or grow their own. $20 for one gram[was between $8 and $12] is just crazy if you ask me, that works out to $100 quarters and $400 for an oz... that was the black market price in Mass. but has never been that high here in Michigan. They say that it because they have to buy from state regulated and tested growers who are having a hard time keeping up with demand and having their produce pass inspection . The shops in the past could buy from "care givers" who sold their excess mj to the shops. I am not sure if this is a real problem or price manipulation as they still require you to sign a form that states the "flower" they are selling has not been tested for purity and potency so does that mean it is not in the state system?. That sort of negates the excuse for a shortage. It has been so great to be able to just go to a shop and buy mj without feeling like a criminal plus mmj really works for my old bones. Lower prices are still available at this point but I am not sure that will last when the recreational market opens in November. Sending folks back underground because of price is not the way this should work.

• It looks like most of the trees have been planted at the new self-storage facility where EDS used to reside. They are ornamnetal trees (beautiful colors), and they are going to look really great when fully matured. So happy to see that parking lot torn up. Hopefully, this helps deal with the flooding in the area during heavy rains.
  • They're doing great work with that lot, I appreciate it as a southsider. I keep meaning to post picture updates but the townhome project on Holmes has been going steady. All three buildings look dried in now, but they haven't started the exterior finishing yet. Definitely added density to that spot.
  • I really think it's kind of template for what can be done at the Kroger and Logan Square. I just wish council would come up with an ordinance, already, that would mandate/require any future lots or redos of existing lots have so many islands with trees or vegetation. Most developers, now, seem to do it on there own, but it shouldn't be left to chance. Council already amended not that many months ago requirements for the proper lighting of lots. They could easily amend the code to require breaks in parking lots over a certain size. Maybe, they just need someone to remind them...
  • I think it is amazing that this greening project is being built. I did not live here when this was a call center, so did that building ever need that much parking? I did live here when Logan Center was new and that lot was never ever full even when there were carnivals and events in the parking lot. I have said here before a parking lot system like they have at Eastwood with "streets and blocks" divided by green space with shade and sidewalks for pedestrians is what I think should be a requirement for new large parking lots. It could be done better at Eastwood[not Lansing I know] and I would also like to see this kind of plan at Frandor, which they may be planning as part of the drain project. Another huge parking lot zone is the Edgewood area, which is fairly new but there is little green space or pedestrian accommodations. I really cringe when I see the shot of outside of WILX and the cinema's parking lot on the local weather. But it's true that much of Lansing look just like that.

Down on S. Washington at the Kent Cleaners site there are so many pieces of huge equipment on the site they almost do not fit. That lot must be very contaminated, I "guess" the dry cleaners just dumped stuff into the ground back in the day. It is good that it is being cleaned up, which must be very expensive.

• The building started out life as a Yankee department store and a Hamady Brothers Grocery. Hence the "need" for a big parking lot.
  • Thanks for the info.! I was thinking that the Yankee store was where Kroger is today, That was long ago! What a treat to see this dead space go green after 40 or 50 years of blacktop.
  • I noticed while I was out, today, work being done on the old vacant Colonial Bar & Grill property at the southeast corner of MLK and Holmes. Went and looked it up on the city website, and apparently a project was listed in late August that includes new interior and exterior lighting, new site lighting, and a new HVAC system. The commercial plan review is currently listed as "in process" so no permits have been pulled, yet. I guess they were doing some simple decluttering/clean out from what I saw.

Built in 1972, the tiny 3,724 sq ft building is oriented at the very southeast corner of the 1.3-acre lot. I'd really like to see the building torn down and the entire site redeveloped into something better. Looks like the building sold in late July to a company based out of Plymouth in Metro Detroit.

Interestingly, both for this lot and the Walgreen's lot across the street, it seems the city had originally zoned the street corner portions of these lots for local business, with the remainder being zoned general commercial. It appears, then, that they'd intended these lots to be develop at the street corners, and that happened with neither.
  • The current Kroger store was a department store called "Topps" with a grocery store "Eberhards" on the west end of the building.