Lansing History

Comments

• Yeah, I always have hoped that they would do something with those lots; of course I have my own visions for them. It just could be so much better utilized with how much traffic passes through that area. I was just thrilled once GM started doing some landscaping and maintaining the lots they owned that weren't paved over. As for that gas station, I don't even use it because of it's dated layout and sketchy feel. Something I would actually utilize, within walking distance, would be wonderful!

After they took the traffic lights out it's been even worse, along with the increased speed limit. I enjoy bike rides on the river trail after work but I have to wait until after 6 otherwise it's nearly impossible for me to even cross MLK. I understand why they did it, but I don't think it was a smart move for this area of neighborhood.

I'd love to see a developer buy this property up and do something with it, but I'm sure GM is saving it for potential expansion...someday.

• edited July 2019

Check out this artistic depiction of the Capitol Park Motor Hotel in the 1960's. The motel portion was at the southwest corner of Capitol and Lenawee where the Michigan Catholic Conferences headquarters are today. To the right, you see the existing Porter Hotel which has been low-income and senior apartments for decades. They operated as a unit until the motel section was shuttered.

I actually helped clean out part of the place as a teen - the owners had contracted different people and companies and I knew someone in one of the companies. By the time it came on my radar, the only people left in the abandoned property were squatters who we were supposed to look out for. It had deteriorated so badly that there were literal holes in the floor and you had to be exceedingly careful not to fall through.

Here's what replaced it:

otto

• edited July 2019

Love this shot. Almost everything featured is still there save for all of the old buildings along Washington behind the fire station:

And here is the capitol dome being constructed showing the iron frame:

• edited August 2019

The first capitol building in Lansing was at the southwest corner of Washington and Allegan:

Early in 1847, three commissioners were appointed to select an appropriate site for the capitol in Lansing. The contract for construction was awarded on June 3, 1847. Building materials were shipped by boat on the Grand River or by rail from Detroit to Jackson and by wagon on cut trails through the woods to Lansing. Gradually, the capitol rose on this site. It was described as "a church-like little structure of wood painted white." The building measured 60 feet by 100 feet, was two stories high and had a cupola. A white picket fence set it off from the surrounding forest. It contained legislative and supreme court chambers, an office for the governor, a few other offices and a library. Completed in late 1847, it was used until the present capitol was completed in 1879.

https://www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VWF_lansings-first-capitol-building-lansing-becomes-the-capital-city-historical_Lansing-MI.html

• If you would like to see the type of house that was in the neighborhood where 496 is now, check out Zillow.com and look up 500 W. St Joesph. It is really very grand inside with beautiful woodwork. This house was kind of modest compared to many of the mansions that were its neighbors. I think it has an amazingly reasonable price at $169k, I'm sure the location may be a factor in the lower price. I think this home would make a great Bed and Breakfast.
  • there are some nice looking parts of the house, but damn that needs a renovation
  • edited January 2020
    The city posted this throwback thursday this week, and it's very interesting to me:
    ENTuNeSXsAUswDx.jpg
    This is Kalamazoo looking east up the hill right outside downtown. The old warehouse on the right is the existing one on the top of the hill, and I believe the industrial/commercial building you see further in the background and on the north side of the street is the oen that's still there. This was from 1916. Kind of amazing this fairly major street was still a dirt road.
  • No pavement but they had sidewalks anyway. Some parts of our streets still look worse than this today. Parts of E Mt Hope N Grand River Bridge Baker Street to name just a few. I pull up to this corner almost every day I think you are right about the building to the left rear still standing there.
  • Last week's throwback Thursday shows City Hall what looks to be very soon after it was completed. Photo if from CADL:

EN3xV-8VUAIkEXf.jpg
  • I have always thought this is a nice looking building, they used quality materials like marble and sandstone. It was such a radically different design from the 19th century City Hall, folks back then thought Lansing was just going to keep growing and progressing and we needed a modern 20th century center for our city. I can remember having pride in this building. The new hospital kind of resembles the center tower's design on a larger scale.