General Lansing Development

Comments

• @MichMatters Yeah, that Peckam expansion is a few years old, I was somewhat impressed when I first saw it. I believe the completed new building you're talking about is for the State (LARA I think), I didn't know they were building a second one.

As far as QD goes, I first noticed something was up when every gallon of milk I bought seemed to come in a different style of jug with a different cap/seal on it, I have noticed the taste varying a bit also. I really hope QD can figure things out, I love having them around. They just need to remodel/clean up their stores and maintain the quality of their QD branded products, I don't understand how they've let some of their stores fall into such disrepair.
  • edited January 2020
    Ah, so that's what it is, a LARA office. It uses nice materials and has a nice black fence around the constructed building. Yeah, the second building - which is being built directly to the south - looks like it'll be of similar design.

I'd always hated how dreary this intersection was, but it's looking better, now. I'd love for Gregory's to eventually tear-down and rebuild, and for the building behind it (which is actually on the intersection) to be torn down entirely.

BTW, Piazzano's down the street fairly recently completely a renovation and expansion of their restaurant. It looks nice, too. I've been meaning to try them, and this kind of caught my attention, again.

Oh, and it looks like the planning board this week has something on the old Pro-Bowl to the south of Gregory's. The grow facility is looking to employee anywhere from 100 to 250 people when it gets fully up and running. That'll be quite a few more jobs for the area.
  • On the planning board agenda this week is the rezoning of the old Kmart on South Cedar for a self-storage facility. This has been brought up a number of times since last year, but it seems they've finally addressed the concerns of the board, so they will likely grant approval. A reminder that the southwest corner of the lot will be held open for the future use to be developed into retail units. The northwest corner of the lot will include a small U-Haul outlet building.

The big addition, here, is that the city has gotten them to include a public improvement off-site. The developers have agreed to build a bike rest area along the South Lansing Pathway, which is directly adjacent to the south. It will have a drinking fountain, benches, and a bike tools station.
  • That corner is pretty close to Old Town and the new housing at MSB site so maybe these new developments will spur more activity on the north side of the city. There was an announcement of a new development going up across the river from the Olympic Broil last summer, it seems like almost every neighborhood in Lansing is seeing some kind of redevelopment. The next step for the city is to get those streets like N. Grand River paved, the bridge there looks like it is in a war zone. It also seems like Lansing will have a good supply of cannabis! Now they have to get some of these recreational shops open, right now Ann Arbor is getting all the tax money! Lansing could use those taxes to pave the streets!
  • Missed this. Kind of disappointed to hear that the southwest corner of Capitol and Shiawassee is going to become a parking ramp when there is literally a city ramp right across the street. But I (begrudingly) accept that it's better than a surface lot. Seems that that would have been a great place for housing for college students.
    Rich & Associates was recently awarded the contract to lead the design and engineering of both parking garages. The first parking garage will be designed and constructed on an existing surface parking lot 23 at the southwest corner of Capitol Ave. and Shiawassee Street. The second parking garage is the replacement of the existing Gannon parking garage located at the corner of N. Grand and Schoolcraft Drive. The Lot 23 Garage as planned is 5 levels, will provide 825 spaces and is scheduled to be completed by July 2021. The Gannon Garage, to be completed by December 2022, will consist of 3 levels and 1,032 spaces.
    LCC-campus-edited-01.jpg?resize=768%2C994
    http://richassoc.com/news/2019/12/17/two-new-garages-coming-to-lansing-community-college/
  • Parking structure! This is disappointing, maybe they will design a people occupied ground floor level. I wonder if the ugly block-long parking ramp across the street is ever at capacity? I think that corner would be great for almost anything so it does seem kind of a shame that another parking ramp is going up on Capitol Avenue. Here we are it's 2020 and they still crown the car king of our downtown, and space must be made for more cars.
  • I'm not surprised by a parking structure on that lot and if it's designed well and has ground floor retail I wouldn't even be horribly disappointed. I had forgot that the deal for LCC to buy the N Capitol ramp had fallen through, I'd imagine the life of that ramp has to be nearing an end. The one thing I don't get is why LCC doesn't replace the Gannon Ramp with a taller ramp in a smaller footprint to leave room for another classroom building.
  • They'd have likely mentioned ground floor retail if there was going to be some, and given it's the college, I doubt they are going to add anything to it that isn't absolutely necessary, which is why I'm particularly disappointed that it's the college developing the garage.
  • It would be great if the city tore down that N Capitol Ave ramp, it is about the last structure with the rope imprint cement walls that someone thought were really beautiful? back in the urban renewal days of the '70s. It was ugly the day they built it and still is. I can not remember what was located on that block on Capitol, it seems like the old Kewpee Burger was around there somewhere.