Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• I wasn't expecting construction to have started this early but they already have a stairwell/elevator shaft up to about 5 floors. It's for the building that will be closest to the old Pontiac dealership, I'm assuming for the student apartments? It's looking like there'll be no plinth for this easternmost building, it's just going to be on the mound they've built.
  • Yeah, almost exactly a year ago when we were going through the final amendment to the development agreement, the developer said that only one plinth is left, and it appears to be the one that will support the dual-brand hotel and one of the student housing buildings to the west of the main driveway. The two student housing buildings east of the driveway (the one facing Michigan which will have groundfloor retail) will not longer sit on a plinth, nor will the market rate building at the corner of Michigan and Clippert or the Senior Village south of that.

Yeah, I saw the stairwell/elevator tower for the one student housing building, too. I was kind of surprised. But I guess now that there will not be a plinths that cover the whole property it allows them to speed up actual construction of some of the buildings.
  • I have been wondering about the drain project, I can not find any information about the beginning [I guess it has begun on the south side of Michigan] or any progress they have made.
  • They've been doing some drain work just west of Brody for some time now, I'm sure it's related to the drain project somehow but it may be something EL or MSU is doing independently in preparation. I'm by the site often but rarely in the daylight so I haven't been able to tell what's going on back from the road. Don't quote me 100% on it but I thought I noticed the northern fence at Ranney Park along Saginaw had been removed and there were some stakes around.
  • I bet you are correct, the drain project is one that I am very excited about, this project has been talked about for so long it is good to see signs that it is actually being built. It is difficult to look at the site while driving on the potholed Michigan Avenue, I do see that they will have no problem filling the lake!
  • edited February 2020
    What in the world is going on? Read through the thread, although it doesn't clear up what has gone wrong.

• This is concerning. I wonder when the MEDC approved this and what plans they were using at the time? This project has changed a lot and it could be that the MEDC feels that the latest plans differ substantially from what they approved and are no longer worthy of the tax credits. I'm certainly much less excited about this projects latest plans than I was with some of the previous iterations. As far as I know we haven't seen detailed elevations or street level renderings of the latest design so there's really no telling how this would turn out, from the aerial it doesn't look great. I'd imagine if this is the case then Ferguson would have an opportunity to submit revised plans that the MEDC would approve of. Hopefully we learn more soon, even with its latest mediocre design and layout it's still an important project.
  • edited February 2020
    The City Pulse has a story out on this.
    FRIDAY, Feb. 7 — Plans to redevelop the former Red Cedar Golf Course may have hit a financial roadblock after the Michigan Economic Development Corp. turned down funding for the project in its current form.

“After a long and careful review, we have determined this project in its current scope does not meet our core strategic priorities — such as greater access to affordable or low-income housing, revitalizing or stimulating development in core downtown areas, or the creation of a long-term, net economic benefit — for the limited state economic development resources available,” MEDC spokesman Otie McKinley said this afternoon.

McKinley also said the Lansing Economic Area Partnership has since requested to withdraw a tax-increment financing work plan for the property. Lansing Mayor Andy Schor said MEDC officials have also asked developers to resubmit a revised plan. LEAP CEO Bob Trezise was not available to comment further.

The developer's take:
    But if the MEDC doesn’t approve that funding plan, developers will likely either be forced to float the bill themselves, downsize or alter the scope of the project or pull the plug on the redevelopment altogether. It’s still unclear what the MEDC’s recent feedback means for the project, but Ferguson refused to recognize a problem.

“I think we solved it. I think we’re good to go. We’re finding common ground. We’re all on the same page,” Ferguson said, declining to elaborate on his dealings with the MEDC. “Downsize? Hell no. We’re still going to be a gamechanger. We’re good to go. Everyone will be happy. The mayor will be happy. Lansing will be happy.”

The LSJ also has this:
    Leaders of the project plan to submit a modified request for tax incentives to the MEDC on Tuesday, said Bob Trezise, president and CEO of the Lansing Economic Area Partnership, a regional agency that contracts with Lansing to handle economic development on the city's behalf.

"This is fairly routine," Trezise said of the planned revisions, adding that the changes will not require approval from Lansing City Council.

Maybe it's not as serious as it sounds.
  • This project has to be finished, and I like the developer's take on this, that it will be finished and it will be a great thing for Lansing. I am not going to even think about it all coming to a halt. I wonder why this issue was not resolved before groundbreaking? I guess the changed the plan since then. I am going to keep visualizing a beautiful complex of buildings surrounding streams gardens and a lake!
  • edited February 2020
    It was asked a few days ago about the status of the drain project. Well, this week's City Pulse had a public notice showing the Drain Commissioner bidding out the project. Bids are due February 24th, and they are bidding it as a one-contract project.