REO Town Development

Comments

• Thank you for sharing the story about a neighborhood just around the corner that I have not visited, now I want to take a ride over there. What a touching story I hope it is still going on over there. They seem to have covered the 3/4 block with topsoil so I would guess some kind of landscaping is planned. There is a designer's appointment only, tile shop in the former pizza shop, they have done some improvements but I wish they would take down the derelict sign there. Across the street at "Ronny's Party Store" they have put up a new sign and very much improved the property. The local kids are stopping by this store a lot as they also have candy and snakes. On the other side of Barnes, they fill and empty the parking lot there with ugly stuff. I still think that is not an industrial-zoned site. And again it would really improve the whole four corners if they would repave Barnes Ave that last two blocks on the west side.
  • A few notes from REOtown. The renovation of the office building on the corner of Elm And S Washington is looking good, along with replacing the panels around the windows they have installed some decorative blond colored wood panels on the corner of the building, and around the first-floor entrance. It is a nice looking update for this building.
    On the same block, the other night five or six city trucks pulled up to the lawyer's office building[in the only house on the block] pulled up the badly crumbling sidewalk there, and laid down some new blacktop. It had been that way for years so it was interesting to see all this happen after dark, with all these guys there to do it. I wonder if someone fell down there, it was really bad. I had written about the sidewalk a long time ago with no results, maybe the lawyers threatened to sue!
    I wonder if the old service station across the street from there [Elm and S Wash.] has sold, there have been several occasions lately where some folks have pulled in there and got out to pose for pictures in front of the building. It is a nice building, I just thought it was a bit odd to come by a couple of times for pictures on cold grey days, so maybe they bought the place!
  • The recently renovated office building on Elm Street has its first new tenants, I do not know who moved in there but there are lights on and cars in the lot. Across the river, at the vacant Oldsmobile Administration Building/Billboard Frame they have finally put up a new Cadillac ad on the side of the building. The last one was up there for three years I think. It is a shame to use that really great building for this purpose.
  • The building next to the CN tracks on the north may have been sold as all of what ever was in there has been cleared out and the for sale sign is gone. It would be great to see something going on in that large building.
  • What building are you talking about?
  • I was assuming he was talking about the old Popoff Meat building there. I was in there a couple times after they did their renovation and it was really designed for them with huge coolers and what not. It would require quite the interior remodel to be used as regular retail or office space.
  • Looking at the city site, it appears it was sold by Dave Sheets in December to "1214 S Washington Ave LLC" in December, which is basically the address of the building. So, no telling what's being done, here.

Speaking of December sales, it looks like the old Pablo's project at the gas station was sold that month to a group that traces back to the Trumble Group, a general contracting company that has done at least one other project in REO Town. And next week, they are asking for a Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act certificate before council. The developer wants to transform it into...a restaurant. :) The development agreement would require them to start renovation by June 1 and be completed by June 31 or next year. They say they want to model it after http://www.thelittlefleet.com/ in Traverse City. Sounds serious.
  • I was not sure what the building was before I thought it was a mattress outlet, but it is the one right next to the tracks across from the old train station and BWL on S Washington. I just happened to notice it had been cleared out while on a walk. I had wondered what the warehouse like structure was in the rear, refrigerated space for meat it seems. Thanks for the information I know I could look it up but I'm kind of lazy! It is interesting to hear about the old service station at Elm and S. Washington, I had seen people taking selfies in front of the building so maybe that was the new owners. I have a feeling the things are really going to take off once the pandemic is behind us, these people investing money here in Lansing is a good sign of that.
  • The city formally announced what I posted about this weekend:

• The renovation of the old REO building into the Allison Brewery has restarted, I was happy to see. That is a really big space I hope it will help to expand REOtown redevelopment down the street to the south. I am worried that the former Quality Dairy bottling plant with it's odd layout will sit there empty for some time. It is difficult to imagine what kind of business could move in there, new owners would probably tear most of the old building down.
    Just a note about something I noticed the other day. The flashing signal light on the top of the huge communication tower on River Street has gone out! I am not unhappy about that as it shines in my front windows, and I do not plan on notifying anyone. There was a new long cylinder shaped device installed up there recently, maybe they switched off the light when putting that thing up there.
    I have also noticed that the rivers are still very low, and have wondered if it is nature or the BWL that is the reason they are so low down below the Moorse Park dam. There have been a group of swans hanging out below the dam for a while now, they are beautiful huge birds!