General Lansing Development

Comments

• I just hate to see streets vacated unless it's for a very, very good reason (maybe for a new convention center or something like that), I don't see any possible way that this project will constitute a very good reason. I generally want to see streets restored where they've been cut off, like around the Capitol Complex and the 7 block area, to me little things such as vacating streets like this are important steps in the wrong direction.

I do wonder what the next decade or two will bring with the form based code and some decent redevelopment momentum going for Lansing.
  • They're kind of light on details right now but it will be good to see Otto in use again: Advancement Corporation partners with Metro Lansing Poor People’s campaign to create community center
  • Yeah, kind of curious how they are going to fund its operation. But it's better than it being empty. I'm glad how well they've kept up the property over the years. Not a lot of heavy renovation will be needed.
  • State workers will be coming back downtown (and to wherever else they work in-office) on July 12. I know the commercial businesses downtown will be happy.
  • edited May 2021
    > State workers will be coming back downtown (and to wherever else they work in-office) on July 12. I know the commercial businesses downtown will be happy.

Some are coming back, not all of them. Many that do come back will be splitting remote versus in person.
  • Looks like the Eydes have demolished all of the homes along the 900 west block of Allegan across from the Hall of Justice. This leaves one sole rental house that has not sold on this side of the block.

gi7en1qt2ygk.png

The possibilities for this entire block have changed with the upzoning brought on by the newly implemented form-base code. The long lots along Allegan and Butler are zoned the lowest density downtown district (DT-1 Urban Edge). This allows for buildings of up to 40 feet or 4 stories and requires at least 50% coverage along the front lot line. Uses allowed are pretty much everything except retail, restaurant, and industrial uses. I imagine the intention for the edge of the block, here, is small offices with secondary resdential uses, or just residential uses.

However, the big lots to the south are now zoned the highest downtown density (DT-3 Downtown Core). This means a MINIMUM height of 2 stories or 25 feet with no height maximum, 85% lot frontage, no required parking, etc. This allows all kinds of urban commercial and residential uses. Prior to the implementation of the form-based code, this was zoned a relatively low-density office district with some minimal secondary residential uses.

Long story short, this really opens this area up for something bigger and better than was originally imagined.
  • That will be an interesting area to watch area as this may signal the developers are ready to build there. I wonder if they might include some resident owned condos or homes rather than all rentals. I found in my brief home search that there are very few "new or newer" homes available including condos for sale in the city of Lansing. It would seem to be a market they should include in the development of this downtown neighborhood.
    I saw that the new apartment buildings on the other side of the complex have begun leasing, the buildings are quite plain but brightly painted and look pretty good with all the landscaping they installed.
  • I really don't what to expect in that 7 block area, or even what I'd want there if given a choice. One thing I would still really like to see is Washtenaw restored as a public street, I hope to see it continued through the State Library's parking lot eventually as well. IMO it would make sense even from the Eyde's prospective as it allow the site to be broken up into as many parcels as they want for buildings of different sizes.
  • At the Planning Board this month it appears they discussed acquisition of around 66 acres of land adjacent to Fine Park in southwest Lansing on the Grand River from Lansing Public Schools. For reference, the existing park is about 36 acres. Apparently, the school district acquired it from Paramount Coffee Co. back in 1971 for god knows what.

oiiga2nc36m3.png

A second acquisition was on the agenda for around 8 acres of land in MSU's University Corporate Research Park for future trail expansions, connecting the area around Dunckel with the new hospital, University Club and beyond.
  • edited June 2021
    Lansing and LSD were in expansion mode during that time. Fine Park is probably named for the developer Francis Fine, who developed Churchill Downs (across Waverly) the decade prior. He may have developed this neighborhood as well, assuming this because of the park name.
    In Churchill Downs, LSD built Wainwright Elementary smack in the middle of the Fine-built subdivision, so they probably had similar plans for Fine's new development but things fizzled out.