General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited April 2022
    Looks like the resolution to put on the ballot the sell of the small part of parkland at North Cemetery on Miller for some fourplexes is up for approval next week; I'd brought this up in late Feb. The land was deeded to the cemetery but was never needed nor used as such. The developed has building permits filed for the quadplexes, but is waiting to purchase this lot to add to the one he owns next door before starting construction. The question would be put on the August 2nd ballot. Park, recreational, cemetery and waterfront territory, no matter its size, has to be put before the voters. The Parks Board unanimously voted for approval of the sale back in early February.

pgm9yv6foibn.png
  • I still wish they'd post a proper rendering somewhere, all I've seen is the bit you can see on the banner and I'm not even sure that's what is actually being built. Regardless, I've been glad to see this building go up, it's very near my house.
  • Has anyone seen this site? I'm not sure what to make of it, it seems to be related to Urban Systems and/or Forsberg Real Estate, the people behind the above mentioned City View development. I beginning to wonder how much of this land they may own or have options for.

https://www.lansingoz.com/
  • Nice find. They don't particularly own a lot of property; they strike me as big dreamers. But it's always great to have a concept ready.

OPPORTUNITY%20ZONE_10%20-%20Photo.jpg

I really like the concept. I've always thought that they needed to tie downtown and REO Town together better, and this would eliminate that dead-zone in between the two.
  • A friend of mine is part of Urban Systems. He's told me about the idea to build above 496 to connect downtown to REO a few years ago. When he described it, I didn't realize that he meant substantial buildings like this, I had something smaller pictured.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know the feasibility, but I love the idea of reclaiming that lost land and building over 496 where appropriate.
  • edited May 2022
    I also am a fan of their concept. I remember talking about constructing buildings over 496 at Washington a few times over the year here, it's really great to see it, even in a conceptual rendering, by someone who might actually be capable of making it happen at some point. I'm no engineer but based on things I've seen built elsewhere building over 496 like that shouldn't be an issue from an engineering perspective or even a regulatory perspective. Whether it could be economically feasible around here I have no idea, I would bet that you have to go big to make something like that feasible though.

I'm noticing where there are greyed out buildings vs ones in color, it seems there's some logic there. I believe they are the ones that proposed the apartment building on St Joe & Capitol that incorporated the Blake House and old rowhouse own Capitol so they likely own those properties and possibly more on that block. Besides that, all the buildings they show in color are on either publicly owned land that's likely available for redevelopment or on seemingly attainable private land.

Also, just to a note to anyone interested: Google Maps has updated their 3d imagery for Lansing for the first time in quite a few years, looks to be from maybe just under a year ago.
  • edited May 2022
    I know my friend is working on the old Lake Trust site, so I'm assuming the colored buildings on the rendering are all their proposed projects. It looks like a tall (for Lansing) apartment proposal over 496, probably with some mixed use on the ground. Attached is what it might look like from a top floor balcony, I'll attach a couple directions. Obviously the view downtown will change with the current projects and proposed projects filling in South Washington/North of 496

l8hg645smoxo.jpg
    vhpsqvntyhxv.jpg
    p7uu4xam3kmn.jpg
    mc7l9eza9uuh.jpg
  • @sabatoa I envy your friend a bit who gets to work with them on some of these projects. If you ever hear anything that you can share I know we'll be happy to hear about it.
  • To be clear, again, they don't own any of the land in this area save for the half-lot fronting Washington at the current development site at Lake Trust. It's owned by various private property owners, business associations, and the city owns a parking lot on Grand. Realistically, this is a concept to intice investors and developers for a joint development in the rendered area.