General Lansing Development

Comments

• I saw this posted to Facebook today by WLNS showing the Neogen groundbreaking, it's just a hiring promotion for Neogen but it shows the rendering of the building in the background:
    https://fb.watch/epcJ-9gSbC/
  • edited July 2022
    Can't make it all out, but, wow, this is much better than what I was expecting. I thought they may try to get away with something like that pollbarn Niowave built up on Seymour. lol

uktm761ce7vk.png
  • Wow, the rendering is a lot better than what I was expecting as well! I expected a massive pole barn or pre engineered metal building. Let's hope the finished product actually is something decent!
  • There is a small depiction of the building in the week's City Pulse. Looks pretty good.
  • I saw downtown today and noticed that they seem to be painting the corigated metal siding on the ped. bridge blue instead of replacing it with new siding. I was thinking they would do a half assed rehab I hope the rest is better.
  • @gbdinlansing I snagged that rendering from the print version:
    gmexv8273vcs.png

And yeah, the skywalk remodel may end up a joke. I'd be a little surprised if all they do is end up painting it but that's kinda the way it looks it may go.
  • The blue paint matches the blue in the stairway mural on the N. Grand parking ramp, so perhaps they will do some sort of art or murals. The mayor and who ever plans these things does not seem to have much imagination, I read where the mayor said the bridge had been a landmark and meeting place for decades! Is that true? I never thought of it that way!
  • edited July 2022
    Stadium North Lofts is moving ahead. The city council agenda, this weeks, has the setting of a public hearing for an amended PILOT for the project up for approval. It's been amended to take into account the spike in construction prices since originally proposed. Instead of annual fees equivalent to 10% of rent-minus-utilities they originally requested, that request has been lowered to a 7% PILOT, which would account for $550,000 in total payment over the 35 years for the PILOT, or about $15.7 thousands a year less than originally anticipated. The PILOT would begin in 2024, so construction would have to start pretty soon to meet that start.

Also, looks like the Motor Wheels a public hearing for the requesting of an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act (OPRA) certificate for the old office portion on the site which they've been trying to fill for years will be referred to committee. They have proposed reconstructing that old office portion as 134 'workforce' (i.e. affordable) apartments. They plan to start construction in October. OPRAs freeze the property tax valuation at the value immediately preceeding to occupation. OPRA certification can be held for up to 12 years. This one is proposed to run for the full 12 years, and construction has to be completed by September of next year.

Lots of good news.
  • Oh yeah, very good news. I was just wondering about the Stadium North project, it should prove a solid bit of infill. There's still the possibility of those apartments at Shiawassee and the train tracks as well, then of course whatever Gillespie does with his properties near here. The future of the Cedar Larch corridor is beginning to solidify.

The Motor Wheel one is odd, I'm not sure how those apartments will turn out but I have some faith in Hepler to make some interesting spaces out of it.
  • Where is the Stadium North Project being built? Is it north of the old Roma Bakery?
    I have seen a lot of new signage for the big two change downtown, I wonder when they are planning to do it?