General Lansing Development

Comments

• There was literally a proposal some years back just for that. It was planned for either the park proper or where Rotary Park is. What all of this takes is vision and seeing a vision through, and we just don't have that kind of civic engagement. Like, every other year the administration gets distracted by the next new shiney thing. Looks like they are focused on the new performing arts center and now we've got to focus on the new public safety headquarters.
  • edited November 2022
    LSJ has an article on City View at the old Lake Trust Credit Union site. It never explicitly mentions that the renovation of the existing building (55 apartments) is complete, but it seems heavily implied. It's also mentioned that the new construction portion (117 apartments) is shooting for a March opening.

86d15210-58db-49b3-80b8-e11e2bbc4bf3-City_View_1_bedroom.jpg?width=660&height=495&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

We also got word last week that The Ovation performing arts center project on the block got a $5 million performanced-based grant towards construction of the facility from the state.

2529e6af-5985-41d3-902a-e67a91f1ff2c-The_Ovation_Front_MSF.JPG?width=660&height=355&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

ae737986-4173-4a84-a1d7-84846ecbeb2a-DSC_6577.jpg?width=660&height=364&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Construction is scheduled to commence in the spring.
  • The view from these new apartments is really great, with the huge windows. I hope they clean the cement exterior walls; I am not crazy about the ceilings they look like they are not finished. However, that is just my opinion, it is really great to see this building repurposed. It looks like the downtown Lansing rents are catching up to my downtown East Lansing rent.
  • I am not sure who is mad about what but there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the Holiday Market in Reutter Park. The folks who gather in the park are wanting to use the warming sheds and have been kept away by security. I can think of several different downtown locations that would be better for a Holiday market and without controversy. I believe that the intentions were good, but the city must have been aware of the situation, as it seems this park is the only one in the city that I have noticed were groups of adults gather on a daily basis. I think they should move the market next time while also install warming areas for the folks who gather in Reutter Park. Or as I have suggested before, giving those folks a better more comfortable place to hang out, like Cherry Hill Park which see little use by anyone.
  • Was kind of surprised how visible the Deluxe Inn site redevelopment and City View were coming up Washington, today. Even with just that little bit of development, it makes the 496 gap seem smaller than it actually is. I guess I hadn't realized how substantial all of this would feel.
  • It is good to see the space filled in, the building is looking OK too. I am not sure I would want to have my apt. right next to the intersection there. I noticed wood framing stacked up on the river side of the development, which would be a much better place to live.
  • The park controversy is ridiculous to me with this Christmas market. The city can't be expected to make a public park a de facto shanty town for homeless people and still expect others to want to move into apartments in the area. It sucks that we have homeless, but just ceding park land to them, in the heart of downtown, isn't the answer.

People in this town can't seem to get out of their own way when it comes to trying to do something cool here.
  • Looks like the Board of Zoning Appeals unanimously approved the proposed 10 story apartment building proposal at the old bottling plant just west of the Turner Dodge property. Kind of surprised by how open they all were to something that is admittedly very out-of-scale with the rest of the area. But they cited the need for more housing and were satisfied with the parking situation, so now we'll wait to see what happens. Something else brought up is that the developer is likely to try and connect the property with the River Trail, in which case they'd partner with the city for upgrading the part that fronts the property. The developer will also use the city surface lot on the other side of GR and thus will maintain it and it will still be open to the public.
  • I'm very, very glad to hear of that approval. If that building happens and is close to what was shown in the renderings I think it will be a huge boon for that area.
  • I thought the drawings for the building were quite nice, and perhaps it will lead to some more riverside development on the north side.