General Lansing Development

Comments

• I'm really happy to hear about this. But it just struck me that it's almost be 17 years since it was demolished. It should be a scandal that this wasn't phased and the parcels not divided for development as needed instead of letting it sit vacant and dirty for going on two decades. It's been depressing everytime you hit the city/township border on Saginaw to see this wastelan; such a visually bad look for the region.
  • Citykid,
    I see this month's planning commission has been cancelled. Is New Vision Lansing still happening? I'm just a bit confused, because when they announced it last August, they were talking about having something before the council literally in the coming month, and the only things I've heard about the project have come through background channels.
  • Reading through the Board of Zoning Appeals agendas and meeting, and the business for the previous meeting and the upcoming one involve the sign ordinance, and it seems that we need to update the ordinance.

https://lansingmi.portal.civicclerk.com/event/6267/files/agenda/7468

It appears it was developed for suburban development, and I'm not quite sure why it was even enacted. A setback requirement of 26 feet for freestanding signs is ridiculous in an older city like Lansing, quite frankly, or really anywhere, honestly.
  • I'm sorry to say I have no insight on New Vision Lansing's status. I had thought I saw the grant as an 'item from the mayor' in one of the agendas but I don't see it now. (all grants no matter what they are have to be accepted by Council). No one has even mentioned a possible Act 33 application for the parking 'skywalk' forward so I don't know if that has been revised out of the plan or not. I didn't attend the first ward constituent meeting but I do not believe Gentilozzi made it on the agenda anyway. I don't how much anyone is on facebook but I have been seeing a ton of the Chamber's sponsored ad advocating that Council accept the money. I don't think this is like an Ilitch-type welfare boondoggle so my guess is that their financial gap is more than expected even with state money, but that is pure personal speculation.

A completely new sign ordinance will be out for review shortly. It has been a heck of a time getting it vetted and cleared.
  • It'd be kinda pitiful if they couldn't even pull the New Vision project off with $40 million free money. That being said, it wouldn't be at all surprising to me if the price tag for everything proposed is higher than the $215 million figure they were giving in the news articles, that seemed low to me.

Good to hear the sign ordinance is being reviewed. I don't know its details but I have seen many times where a place that wants to do a cool sign has had to apply for a variance so I hope the changes may allow for a little more variety and creativity? Maybe larger mural signage and what not?
  • edited February 5
    Thanks, citykid. As I said a few months back, I've heard the project is still very much on, but was curious about what exactly is holding up city council work on this, as when it was announced, they were literally talking putting accepting of the state money on the agenda in like the matter of weeks. And, I've assumed the money for affordable housing from the state is time sensitive, but I don't know the details on the bill. I'll have to see if I can pull it up and see if there are any deadlines written into when communities have to take the money.
  • It's hard to know if there is any politicking holding the grant up but I haven't heard any quiet rumblings. I agree it all is puzzling since their press releases made it sound as if they were essentially shovel ready.

The sign ordinance isn't super interesting, mostly just makes things simpler and accounts for the fact that over time the form-based zoning code is going to make buildings much closer to the street. Murals are going to be a gigantic headache. Municipalities basically cannot touch content anymore due to case law so it is all about governing size, place, and time. I think most people would love new, cool artwork, but not so much what amounts to a painted billboard covering the entire side of a building. We can't make that distinction without evaluating content.

Sparrow is taking down the old service station and three houses along Michigan Ave. and Holmes St. As a very close neighbor I am dead-set against yet another dead block for their parking. My reading of the ordinance wouldn't permit permanent parking without an SLU or variance, but they are advocating a different interpretation. I'm hoping they get their act together and unload it after they get their tower and central utility plant built, but who knows.
  • I thought they'd JUST told the neighbors on that street that they weren't planning parking, or do I remember the City Pulse article incorrectly?
  • Whole lot of grant acceptances hitting council over the next few months, it looks like. One up for passage next week is a Revitalization and Placemaking (RAP) grant totally about $7.7 million. I'm not sure what this one is for.

Notably, the grant for for New Vision Lansing appears to have been forwarded from the mayor to the council, so we should start seeing some movement on this.

Citykid, I see the city hall purchase agreement is going before Committee of the Whole on Monday, as well as the mayor sending the grant acceptance to the council. What is the process? There are at least two-moving parts, and it looks like they may have the purchase agreement approved before they accept the grant? I'm just curious when the public hearing is for the purchase agreement.
  • RAP - MEDC has a lot of details about the grant program, but more details on Lansing's award can be read here. Money went to Child and Family Charities rehabbing some old McLaren buildings, 3700 S Waverly, ROECO/old Sears, Prudden Wheel Lofts, and the 900 block of W Saginaw St.

City purchases - Since Council has to approve the purchase and grant anything could happen if they aren't satisfied with where things stand. They do broadcast Committee of the Whole on youtube so I recommend tuning in. I do not see any reason why both parts could not move separately and I'm sure that is likely baked into negotiations. I will say purchase of real property does not require a public hearing. Only the sale of real property in excess of $50,000 requires a public hearing. Say what you will about that.