General East Lansing Development

Comments

• That entire stretch of Lake Lansing is a nightmare to drive down at some times. I really wish they'd do something to alleviate the traffic problems in the area.
  • Jared, wasn't the Culver proposed for an outlot in the Meijer parking lot at the northeast corner and the hotel/pharmacy for the southwest?

Again, each corner was always meant to be commercial/retail of some sort. The area's fate was sealed when they decided to bring 127 through the area and have an interchange at Lake Lansing. As far as I'm concerned at least for the southwest corner there is already a buffer: all those offices along Ramlewood Drive that already seperate the neighborhood from the intersection.

We are talking about Lake Lansing and Coolidge, right?
  • The Culvers was proposed for an outlot at the southeast corner of the Meijer property (Lake Lansing and Marfitt). The Meijer outlot that is in question has been proposed many times over for numerous projects such as gas stations and restaurants and each time it is fought by the neighbors.

The other sides of this corner feature an apartment complex and duplexes. The hotel/pharmacy was proposed for the southwest corner of Lake Lansing and Coolidge (where Blue Cross Blue Shield used to be). At the beginning of the hearing last night, the developer of the hotel/pharmacy project asked for the proposal to be changed from a "B-4 to B-2" to a "B-4 to B-5" zoning. This is why the rezoning request was sent back to the Planning Commission. There were only four council members that were present for that vote, as the Mayor Pro-Tem recused herself because she sits on a board that has some interest in the BCBS property.
  • Ok, got it. I thought the Culver was being planned closer to the Coolide/Lake Lansing corner. I actually know this area pretty well.

I'm still not very sympathetic to the concerns of the residents (especially the hotel proposal literally a few yards from the freeway interchange which is completely consistent with other development in the area) seeing as how this area was a commercial Northern Tier highway of sorts before that area ever was even a thought in city planner's heads. This area was always meant to be a high-traffic corridor.
  • (my first post- but I've been following the site for a long time).

Traffic is awful on Lake Lansing at rush hour, particularly from Marfitt to 127. I live in Groesbeck- and getting home from Kroger or Meijer is stressful to say the least at that time of day. I'm glad the council is being thoughtful about this.

There are a few things to be considered for this area:

1. It needs to be more walkable/ bikeable. This region is only distinct from Eastwood because it is a hassle to drive from one place to the other (say Kroger to Eastwood) and really a terrible experience to walk. Someone is going to get hit by a car soon. Almost every time I cross 127 on Lake Lansing someone is trying to negotiate their way across the overpass. If another hotel wants to build east of 127 (that would make 3, right? with the new Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton), this concern needs to be addressed first. People see Eastwood nearby and want to walk over to shop or for a bite to eat, but it's dangerous. Also, the master plan for Eastwood calls for another hotel and a lot of housing; residents should be able to walk for their groceries. Is the overpass State jurisdiction or Lansing Township/ East Lansing?

2. This intersection (Coolidge and Lake Lansing) is the primary connector between the Northern Tier and the freeway system. Like it or not, the Northern Tier will continue to grow, especially with the new banking district and whatever is happening at Coleman Corners. As the Northern Tier grows, I think 2 things may alleviate congestion, but I'm not sure I support them both:
    - an on-ramp from Abbot/ Chandler to I-69. This has been mentioned before right? It would help with traffic, but then again, as MichMatters mentioned, Coolidge/ Lk Lansing is supposed to be high traffic. The businesses depend upon that traffic. Maybe traffic management needs to be the priority instead of a new on-ramp .
    - an extension of Coleman Rd under 127. I absolutely DO support this. It would connect Wood Rd/ Northern Eastwood (future residential/ hotel/ office district) with the Northern Tier, particularly Chandler's residential areas and the banking district. It is imperative that this Coleman extension be walkable/ bikeable. This road will separate some commuter traffic from shopping and local traffic.
  • Thanks for the post j.

My family and I like to bike to Eastwood Towne Center, and we have to cross that overpass. It is true that the overpass is one of the most potentially dangerous crossings in the region. I'm pretty sure that it is under state jurisdiction, and with the budget the way it is I think only grass-roots support can get an overpass funded.

The least they could do is create a protected median for bikers and walkers across 127.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm in complete agreement about the walkability of the area. It's a complete disaster. Though the development pattern is too far gone to change the overall character of the area, there is absolutely no excuse for the area being as pedestrian unfriendly as it is. Infrastructure improvements (a bike lane or two?) and better timing of the lights would go a long way.

Also, only slightly related, but the state REALLY needs to add some ligthting to 127 through Lansing/East Lansing, especially with the growth over the decade. It's particularly dangerous, walking or driving, to navigate this area at night.
  • I went by the Louis St. development today and noticed that they haven't made any real progress on the site in about a week or two. The two properties have been demolished and there is a large backhoe and a bulldozer on site. I hope that they haven't run into any snags with financing or permits.

Also, right down the street is the property where the student housing burned down. It looks like there are no immediate plans for rebuilding, as the parking lot has been re-striped and they look like they will just be leasing out parking spaces for the 2010-2011 school year.
  • Five Guys restaurant will be opening a location in East Lansing in the former Take Two Authentics location on Grand River. They plan to start construction today and open in September.
  • FIVE GUYS FTW! It's one of my favorite parts of living in NYC and I'm so glad I can get it when I come home. Also this is a great sign - this makes Lansing only the second market in Michigan with 5 Guys. Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor don't have any, and a quick map search shows they tend to stick to bigger more urban markets. There are a couple scattered in smaller cities but still, great to see them come to Lansing.