General East Lansing Development

Comments

• FYI I'm re-posting your link and images regarding the Park District building over in that thread for posterity's sake.

That "eastlansinginfo.com" site appears to be regularly updated with well-written articles, how did you come across it?
  • hood, I found out about the site either on the BRT thread or on a recent thread on Spartan Tailgate (http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/New-Development-East-Lansing-will-it-happen-this-time-46792686). Spartan Tailgate is an MSU athletics-oriented site but, I assume, that, given the high profile of that project in EL, some one decided to talk a little about it.
  • edited November 2016
    I see after doing a search here that we discussed this almost exactly two years ago in passing, but I had no memory of it. Apparently, MSUFCU has nearly completed it's $43 million, 186,350-square foot headquarters expansion at its campus up on the Northern Tier on West Road. The last time I was even up that way was nearly two years ago, so they'd probably just announced it. It's mostly to give the call center, IT, and e-support services its own space as membership in the credit union has grown - and will be growing - so much. There little nearly-3,000-square-foot intern center also opened up on Tuesday downtown.

636138607958498944-MSUFCUHQExpansion001-dw.JPG

636138607987203128-MSUFCUHQExpansion003-dw.JPG
  • I like this building, I would say it looks like a "Lansing Area Building". The design reminds me of the converted power plant downtown, or some of the buildings at MSU. That is interesting that they need even more room, they already have that huge building up there.
  • The City of East Lansing is going to extend the Northern Tier trail. One of the paths currently ends at a parking lot in the Whitehills neighborhood. That path will now extend to the corner of Lake Lansing and Birch Row. Another extension will bring the path that ends at Tower Ave (behind the Aquatic Center and softball fields) down Towar Ave to connect it with the sidewalk. The third addition made will be connecting the sidewalk on Lake Lansing Road between Birch Row and Abbot that has a missing gap in it. More than half of these additions ($520,000) will be funded through the Trails Millage and the rest ($300,000) will be funded through the Michigan DNR Natural Resources Trust Fund.

Map 1 of changes
    Map 2 of changes
    More details here
  • Big story in the LSJ about the Grand River Ave development. I like the drawings, there may be a bright shiny group of buildings to welcome people to downtown East Lansing for real this time!
  • There is a purchase agreement for the office portion of the Marriott building in East Lansing for $3.25 million. I haven't heard anything more about who the purchaser is or what they plan on doing with the office portion once the sale goes through.
  • Conrad's at the corner of Abbot and Grand River will be closing. A note was posted on their front door. From the looks of it their landlord didn't want to renew their lease. They said they will be looking for another location in downtown. They currently have two other locations.

• Nothing much to add, but went down Grand River for the first time in a few weeks and noticed how Stone House Village 6 on the old Taco Bell site has it's core quite a bit above streetlevel. Red Cedar Flats over off Northwind Drive (which is technically in Meridian Township) is also coming along nicely.

• Maybe it was the landlord's fault but I always found Conrad's store front very dirty and unappealing. I think that block is going to be much in demand with developments across the street.