General Lansing Development

Comments

• An event, IgnightLansing 3.0 is being held at the Knapp's building downtown in March. They held this last year at the Temple Club. Maybe that's what some of the activity has been there recently? Not sure, March still seems far enough off they wouldn't be doing prep yet.

http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/innovationnews/Ignite0404.aspx?utm_campaign=Be%20Your%20Own%20Boss&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_term=IgniteLansing%203.0%20To%20Be%20Held%20at%20Former%20Knapp%26rsquo%3Bs%20Building%20in%20Downtown%20Lansing
  • Saw that in Capital Gains yesterday, and that must have been what the activity was for. A few months out is not at all too early to be scouting out locations, especially if its in a vacant building that'd need upgrades to host such an event. I saw pictures of it when it was held at the Temple Club. That was one funky environment. I was hoping they'd regularly host the event there as it's a great way to show of the quirkier side of the city, for sure.
  • It sounds like the former Izzo's Pizza of REO Town will be reopening in the next month or so on S. Washington where Menna's Joint used to be (first floor of the Ranney building). Doubt it will be called Izzo's Pizza since previously it was connected to Izzo's Pub... I'm VERY excited to again have their tasty pizza and garlic knots!
  • I was downtown today and noticed State of Michigan moving trucks parked on Allegan nex to the Hollister building and people moving large shelves with file folders in them. You think it's safe to assume this is the State Police workers are moving out of there to the new headquarters?
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah, that'd be the most likely guess.

BTW, the City Pulse had an article, this week, definitely confirming that the lights I saw inside of Knapps were activity due to the Ignite Lansing event coming up. What more was revealed is that they are using it as a platform to show off the building in an informal way for future redevelopment.

BTW, anyone hear about the Tin Can dive bar opening up on the 400 block of East Michigan Avenue, or been to it, yet? I've just been thinking about how many bars have opened up downtown in the last decade, and it just kind of blows my mind. It was an organic growth that you really don't realize the size of until you see it yourself. Michigan and Washington has grown to be probably one of the largest bar districts in the state, and especially for a city our size.

EDIT: Seems the Tin Can has gone in the space that the Capitol Club sales/leasing office occupied. Oh, well.
  • I just noticed it the other day. I didn't get a good look at it though. I'm glad to see the Michigan Ave bar district continuing to expand towards Washington. I believe 621 and Blue Coyote are still planning on opening up revamped locations on the other end of the district. I would really like to see the building that the Lansing Chamber of Commerce used to be in open up its ground floor to retail also.
  • edited February 2010
    Something really needs to be done with the southwest corner of Michigan and Grand, and I've always believed that if they put a solid entertainment-focused development at that corner, it'd finally tie Washington and Michigan, together. Troppo helped inch closer to the reality, but Michigan and Grand is a major visual corner -- a kind of portal or entrance, if you will -- that you really feel how much it lacks by not being developed whether you drive or walk the intersection. The empty, 2-story Walter Neller Building to the south really needs to be demoed or renovated, too.
  • Like I've said before, I think that corner should be reserved for a major development. I've always envisioned a highrise on the corner and a large parking ramp on the site of the Walter Neller building (to replace the S Grand ramp.)
  • edited February 2010
    Couple of articles from Capitol Gains this week, both are on a couple of new businesses.

Tin Can opens in Downtown Lansing

Cravings Popcorn moves to Old Town

A new name is announced for Oldsmobile Park, I think Cooley Park would have been sufficient, but whatever:
    Olds Park will be Cooley Law School Stadium
  • edited February 2010
    Lansing downtown developments come together

This article talks a little about Capitol Club:
    Capitol Club Tower developer Shawn Elliott said he has no timetable for beginning construction and may retool the project to use several floors for nonresidential use, such as office space. The project was originally envisioned as an 80-unit condominium development, but in this recession, he said, it may prove difficult to secure financing for a strictly residential development.

"We would like to do this as quickly as possible," Elliott said. "Whenever the time frame presents itself for a successful development, we'll move on that."

I also thought this was interesting: Wanna go 'over the edge?' Rappel down Boji Tower