General Lansing Development

Comments

• Anyone have any idea what's being done to the BWL's Dye Water Conditioning Plant in downtown Lansing? It looks like a massive renovation of the facade and utility work in front of the plant that has had a lane of Cedar closed down for a week or two, now. I'd heard absolutely nothing of this project in the media. The only thing I can tell from visual inspection is that it looks like the facade is either being cleaned or painted.
  • Yeah, I noticed that too. I have no idea what's going on, it would be nice to know though.
  • edited April 2012
    I found this on Google's cache. The work you're seeing is probably the work for this bid (apologies for the large image):
    2012-04-03_2132.png
  • I see an unfortunate public hearing announcement in this weeks City Pulse for the demolition of 615 S. Capitol Ave. for...a surface parking lot:

ServeAttachment.ashx?FileGuid=ADB3F37C-1BEA-47B0-9978-D298BCDCA5D6&Extension=jpg&Width=631&Height=421&PadImage=False&DisableVisualWatermark=&ClipImage=False&ExactDim=False

It's the building on the left, but the properties came together in a package, so I wonder if it won't be both? I'm not even sure who the parking lot is for.
  • I wouldn't care if it's just the house, but they can't be allowed to tear down the townhouse building. It's one of the only buildings of its type in the area.
  • This is interesting, but lacking in details: Niowave to break ground on $10M expansion, adds 10 jobs

I assume this will be an addition to their current building, but the article doesn't say. Hopefully this is just the beginning got Niowave.
  • edited April 2012
    I can confirm that all that was torn down was the dumpy little house at 615 South Capitol Avenue. Man, that was a quick demolition.

BTW, local media is reporting, tonight, that the mayor's going to announce Butler and Ionia, tomorrow. Hopefully, it's improved from the very rough sketches the Pulse showed a few weeks back.

EDIT: WILX is reporting 90 apartments, but a full 2-acres of the site being used as a rain-garden or greenspace. Seems like an underutilization of such a prime location, but I imagine this must be to allay the concerns of the Genesee Neighborhood, which has been concerned about traffic at this area for whatever is built there. The concern seems a little odd to me given that the site used to hold an entire other part to the neighorhood. It was never meant to stay undeveloped. We're literally talking about a piece of prime real estate near the center of a contiguous urban area of over 300,000 people.

Anyway, here's to looking forward to what's to be announced in a few hours.
  • EmergentBioSolutions.jpg

Emergent plans $108M expansion

They're going to begin soon with a $9.6 million administration building and $4 million of infrastructure improvements. The rest of the money will be spent on a warehouse, science building and more infrastructure improvements, all slated to be completed by 2016.

Not much on this yet, but it's yet another plus for Michigan Ave: Former Lansing nightclub site eyed by developer
  • I was by Niowave today and they are building an addition on the Seymour St side of the property, they already have footings in and it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent size building. I'm still not sure what type of building it is that they're building though.
  • edited May 2012
    Not really a big piece of news, but the Lansing Area Capital Gains reported that the apartment building that Gillespie hopes to build on the site of the former Dollar nightclub is to be called "Midtown."