The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• This space it trying to shack its jinx, and it is a very good sign that they are not planning some temporary use of that land. I will hope for some contemporary interesting design that will guarantee this development's success and make a bold statement. Next to Capitol Ave.and Michigan Ave. this the most prominent corner in Greater Lansing, we should have a really great building there.

• I agree gbd - I sincerely hope they do something special there. I didn't mind the last design too much, but it didn't feel all that special.

• I hope they can come up with something 7 stories or higher for the corner. I'd be OK with seeing 4 stories for the other buildings. East Lansing is growing taller now but doens't need to shoot for the stars. Quality in-fill is still needed first. After this project and Center City, I'd like to see a project proposed on the surface lot behind MSUFCU/Peanut Barrel.

• That would be the next great spot to develop in EL.
    I was reading about the Peanut Barrel's rehab, and the owner was saying that the building still has parts of the old supermarket that was there in the 60's. My sister would take me there when she went to MSU, the market had this really cool glass eye that would open the door when you passed. It was right at kid eye level and had a green glass orb over the electric eye, so that is why I remember that store. I also remember going to The Peanut Barrel in the 70's when it still had the old storefront facade they really had peanut barrels and everyone threw their peanut shells on the floor. Drunkin college kids falling on their asses after slipping on the peanut shells was also part of the scene! Maybe that's why they don't do that anymore!.

• edited January 2018

Considering the lost funds (~10M) were only a small part of the total money (~175M?) that was put up for the last project, I'd think the developers could still build a decently tall set of buildings. I'll guess something like 6-10 stories on the old bank site, 4-6 stories at the Thai Hut site, and probably the same, original plan for the condos on the old apartment building site. However, I'd expect all the buildings to be a bit less flashy and sophisticated... for example, perhaps they'll move all the parking for the tall buildings into a single conventional parking ramp.

• Just a little flashy, please!

• I hope so too, we'll just have to wait and see at this point...

• Ratchet, I agree. And I like the idea of two separate buildings - 1 at the bank, 1 at the Thai Hut site.

• So I noticed over the weekend that all of the new, screened construction fencing is up, and that they left a small part of the bank building(s) lot open. It's basically a large chuck of where the old small bank was, on the north end of the parcel. I'm guessing that they did this in anticipation of aligning with Albert street across Abbot, but in any case it seems like the maximum size of the footprints of the future buildings are, at least, tentatively set.