MSU Development

Comments

• Totally and completely agree. I was just out at the Clinic the other day, and it just keeps striking me how far removed it is from campus. That's the problem with so much at MSU. Generally, I don't mind the usage of Service Road. Most of the stuff along it belongs there (i.e. the power plant, the surplus store, etc...), but the medical campus should probably be right in the middle of campus. It's literally right out in the middle of a field and setback, at that. This kind of development really doesn't do a lot to push away from the university as a "cow college", even though it's not. And, then passing Morrill Hall just kind of compounded all of the feelings that the university doesn't have the right development priorities.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't totally disagree with the location of the building, it may seem like sprawl now, but in the long term it will make sense. (After looking at the 2020 plan update there is a lot to take in including a number of new buildings in the south academic district.)

Anyone see this about MSU's future in Grand Rapids? I'm still not happy about MSU being in Grand Rapids, it doesn't make sense.
    MSU begins plan for research facility in Grand Rapids

If you haven't checked out the updated master plan it's worth a look: 2020 Plan 2011 update. Some of the things planned over the next five years include a renovation and expansion of the School of Music, a 225k sq ft building for Interdisciplinary Science &
    Technology, a 113k sq ft data center, a new 160k sq ft health care facility and the renovation of the Shaw Lane Power plant for "academic
    services support."
  • Breslin looks likely to be getting $28 million in upgrades soon: Michigan State considering $33 million in upgrades to Breslin Center, Daugherty Football Building.

Also, an LSJ article on the upgrades at MSU: Munn Ice Arena on track for major upgrades as it turns 40 in fall

It's great to see that almost all of MSU's sports facilities are going to be up to date. There's been a new facilities for soccer, baseball and softball; updated facilities for football, hockey and now basketball, I think that's all of them any way. Now I'd just like to see a fully renovated Jenison Field House. Demonstration Hall would be a nice building to see get renovated also, does anyone know if it even gets used much anymore?
  • Actually Demonstration Hall got renovated about 5 years ago and is now the home for the MSU Marching Band which practices from inside of the building at times. If you walk by the north side of the building, make sure to peek in the windows and you'll see it has been completely rehabbed... so much for the roller skating :'(
  • I love Jenison. When we could rent it, my high school had its track practices there. I always wished the Breslin would have been built more like a fieldhouse to mimic the atmosphere on Jenison. I'd also rather a see a new hockey arena than an upgrade of Munn, but what has happened has happened.
  • edited June 2014
    I haven't paid much attention, did they do anything with the outside of Demonstration Hall or just the interior? I would really like the exteriors of both buildings be rehabbed to the same quality as some of those old buildings on Grand River that they've fixed up the last few years.

As for Munn, I too would have rather seen a new arena, but on the bright side they are trying to raise $20 million for further renovations, including what sounds like a whole new southern facade. If they continue on piece by piece they could essentially end up with a new arena.
  • They built a new handicap ramp on the northside of Dem Hall, but that was about it for the exterior changes.

Which buildings along Grand River are you referencing? I can't think of any outside of Brody Complex that have changed in the last few years.
  • I think he's just generally talking about the dorm and classroom building renovations over the year along East and West Circle, you know, the old north campus.
  • Yeah, I was talking about some of the old North Campus buildings along Grand River Ave that have had their exteriors restored over the past several years. I noted them because I think they did a really good job with them.
  • MSU has announced that they are planning on building apartments on the former Michigan State Police Headquarters site across from Breslin Center on Harrison Rd.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/campus/2014/09/12/msu-build-apartments-former-state-police-site/15506633/

The cost and details of the project have yet to be determined, but MSU has set an anticipated completion date of 2017. A 2013 strategic plan said that MSU could sustain 250 apartments (I'm not sure if that includes ones already open and operated or 250 new apartments).