Marketplace

Comments

• The roof makes it look a little like the current city market. It's interesting how the rivertrail will change the material used near the city market and extend over the river.

From the LSJ article today:
    LEPFA officials said they will finalize designs and put the project out to bid by mid-February.

Construction is supposed to start in April and be completed by late October, according to Eric Hart, LEPFA's president and chief executive officer. He is overseeing a $1.6 million budget for the project.

East Lansing developer Pat Gillespie will tear down the old city market and begin construction on Market Place - a $24 million to $30 million mix of retail, office and residential space - after the new city market is complete.
  • I think the design is pretty bland also, but I didn't really expect it to look too fancy, although they could use more brick, as opposed what they have on there now (corrugated metal?). I do love the site plan though, it ought to make for a nice continuation of the boardwalk next to the Lansing Center.
  • Looks like I wasn't alone in my thoughts of the architecture. From the very same article:
    Councilman Eric Hewitt was critical, saying the drawings didn't suggest an entertainment venue capable of attracting drivers passing by in their vehicles.

"How do we make it dynamic or interesting enough?" Hewitt asked David VanderKlok of Studio [intrigue] Architects. "I'm concerned that this is too plain, too static, too ordinary."

I guess this is what you get your only $1.6 million, though. Yeah, the roof is metal, as it a great deal of the facade, it seems.
  • Yeah, $1.6 million is a pretty tight budget, I'm surprised they can even build it for that price. I think the Riverwalk and plaza part will help to make up for the City Market building itself, besides I'm sure it won't be too bad. I just can't wait to see this get started on, it seems so close now.
  • Interesting to see how the project brings out the grand river, although I was surprise to see the design. As many comments said it looks rather bland, one thing I thought it looks unstable... Glad to see projects in downtown Lansing, seems like the city may be improving.
    Anyone know the crime data for 2008?
  • The FBI (the "official" source) won't be releasing their data until well into next year. But I think LPD releases some stats themselves early in the year, you can always contact them to see. I do know that the last murder we had was our 10th confirmed murder for the year.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh how awful, according to city-data.com in 2006 there was only 6 murders... still not good but a lot less than 10.
  • edited December 2008
    There is another crime thread to discuss this. Please try and keep on subject in these threads. This one is about the city market. You do this over at Urbanplanet, too, and it's just weird and distracting.
  • Really surprise to see that from 2005-2007 Ann Arbor, Michigan had zero murders.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh right, I should find the thread.