Marketplace

Comments

• edited December 2017

It's probably the easiest site to develop. The only other options iare behind the Stadium District building, itself, as was originally planned, or the "Back 40" on Shiawassee next to the railroad tracks. Conceivably, you could piece together the structures and lots north of Paramount Coffee, but that'd be a bit harder.

I'm really disappointed from aerials how prominent the parking lots are at Marketplace and the Outfield. What makes them worse are that they are in from of the buildings. Eventually they will have to be developed as the land will be too valuable for surface parking lots, but that could still be a ways off. With the form-based code, though, Marketplace wouldn't have been able to be developed (by-right) like it has. It'd have had to have started out at the corner of Cedar and Shiawassee and then expanded from there.

Gillespie seems super-adverse to building up to the property line, unless there is no other option, which is really weird when you're developing in the literal core of a city.

• Does anyone know what is going on with the renovations at the old Beer Grotto? There is some plastic sheeting covering a big hole on the Cedar Street side of the building. I was guessing that maybe the bank office was expanding, but I really don't know.

• The drawing depicts the area on the west side of Cedar in front of the first and second phases of the development, which is now a parking lot. I believe that there is a parking structure drawn into building further up Cedar from the corner. The corner is drawn with a glass facade building on the corner where the sculpture stands now and then the colorful apartments building then what looks to be a parking structure. I thought the drawing may be older but it had a 2017 date on it so maybe this is a new plan. It looked great with the building coming up to the sidewalk.

• @ratchetwrench I may be mistaken, but it sounds like you're describing the damage that was done when the bus hit the old Grotto location a few months ago.

• edited December 2017

gb, thanks for the description. The way you earlier described, I thought you were talking about the _east_side of the street in where the Lansing Brewing Company is. Yes, Gillespie has always planned (and is required) to building on Cedar at Marketplace. But he'd stop even talking about that when they started building the first wing of Marketplace back in 2014.

So, it's really good that there are fleshed-out concepts for this next phase. As my memory recalls, the development agreement (at least the last one I remember) requires that the building on Cedar include ground floor commercial space, and it seems that I remember that the original proposal was for an office building. However, hood and I have been unable to find the latest development agreement online for some reason.

GB, do you have a camera phone or a camera so that you could upload pictures, here?

• Yes, I have a camera but I do not know how to upload a photo to this site.:{

• I'd suggest uploading them to a free Flickr account. From there, there is a simple option that allows you to embed them, here. If you'd like some additional help, I'd be glad to help you post them here. I used to get out more and take pictures, but barely do, anymore. :(

• Hey come over to REOtown for lunch, and some shopping and check it out yourself. There is a lot of free parking!

• Also, if you have the file on your computer you can upload the pictures directly to the website using the "Attach image/file" button while typing up comments.

• Thanks sabatoa , I must have missed that news item