Lansing History

1333435363739»

Comments

• edited September 2023
    I found this on CADL's website, and had no idea there was a parking garage next to the Masonic Temple:

I can't find the date on this, but it appears from other photos it was present in the 1960's? Older photos from the 1950's show a one-story drive-thru bank on the site.

I can't even in my head picture how this thing fit on the block looking at the current parking lot. I wonder when it was torn down? Anyway, just kind of shows you what was done - and what can be done - with the block.
  • Yes, it was built in the '60s and was Lansing's first [I believe] muti-story parking ramp and was thought of as very modern and a great addition to downtown. There is one on MSU's campus near the Administration building that was built around the same time and looks very similar to the one downtown. I don't know when this ramp was torn down, it the '80's I would guess. It looks like all the cars are going north one way on Capitol, which is something I do not remember. Thanks for posting this.
  • edited September 2023
    Yes, apparently Grand was northbound, too, at once point. I'm not sure when they all got switched in the other direction. Probably after the freeway was opened.

nft03g821zgd.png