$85M development planned near Eastwood

Comments

• WLNS was reporting that work could begin as soon as next month on this project.
  • I went and found the story on their site: Expansion Planned For Eastwood Towne Center

The project is more extensive than what I had thought; 125 apartments, 15 restaurants, 75k sq ft of retail and a 716 space parking structure. I'm wondering what this is going to look like.
  • Details of Eastwood plan

Lansing Township board tables Eastwood decision

Not sure why they would postpone a decision when it seems to be pretty strait forward to me.

The LSJ article went further in detail about the plans. NCG will be adding a 530 seat "large format theater" (IMAX I assume). And more importantly to me, the apartments are going to be above the retail space and adjacent to the parking ramp. I'm so glad the the apartments aren't going to just be some plain apartment buildings tucked away at the edge of the parking lot.
  • That really is good to hear about the apartments. While the development is still suburban in nature, at least they are trying to go for "new urbanism" as they call it.
  • Do any of you live in Lansing Township? I'm looking for some informed residents to weigh in on the issue for an LSJ article.
    Melissa Domsic
    mdomsic@lsj.com
  • Well, I'm not from Lansing Twp, and it looks like no one else here is, but I'd certainly like to see some renderings and site plans along with your story. Besides, without more details of the project most opinions you gather wouldn't be specific to this project, they'd be for or against the development of Eastwood in general.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for keeping on top of this, Melissa. Here's a rendering from a story written over the weekend about the expansion:

bilde?Site=A3&Date=20110605&Category=BUSINESS02&ArtNo=106050489&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

It's a pleasant surprise. I was expecting something cheaper looking and generic.
  • I'm pretty happy with the design too, I'm happier to see the height. I was figuring on the buildings being two, maybe three floors, but not five. Now I'm wondering if the other buildings will look like this or if they will have multiple floors at all.
  • Lansing Township gave their final approval for the project last night: Lansing Township OK's housing, retail plan

Eastwood2.jpg

View of a model. (screenshot from WILX's story on the project)
    Eastwood.jpg
  • It looks great, and I think that the project will be mostly successful. The housing is key because it means potential customers will be living on-site. A hotel is probably the next step (moderately sized, with some banquet and meeting facilities).
    I guess my only concern with the current phase is that the parking deck seems like it's too far away from the rest of the development. I would like to have seen another level or two of parking, and move the whole thing closer by 75 ft. No one is parking in the garage and walking to changs or dsw. Well I might, but not in February. I was hoping to see less pavement when this is done, but that's my only gripe. I think this will be good for Lansing and the surrounding communities.