Deluxe Inn Graffiti (lots of pics)

edited August 2010 in Lansing
I went by the Deluxe Inn and took pictures of the graffiti today. There were quite a few people there checking it out, as there have been the last few times I drove by.

overview3.jpg

overview4.jpg

overview7.jpg

image024.jpg

image025.jpg

image028.jpg

image029.jpg

image031.jpg

image033.jpg

image034.jpg

image037.jpg

image038.jpg

image041.jpg

image042.jpg

image043.jpg

image045.jpg

image046.jpg

image052.jpg

image054.jpg

image056.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

image019.jpg

image021.jpg

image022.jpg

image023.jpg

Comments

• I think it would be nice to see a permanent location for legal graffiti in Lansing, somewhat akin to the graffiti walls on Venice Beach in California.
  • edited August 2010
    YES! Thanks Jared, that's the whole point!
  • A structure like this would have a lot of the same complaints that we dealt with when getting the skatepark built. Putting it over by Calkins Paint could make that part of the River Trail cooler and provide more business for Calkins :-)
  • There is an article in this weeks City Pulse about the future Deluxe Inn redevelopment. They also showed off an example of what the redevelopment may look like:
    Deluxe.jpg

A vision for where the Deluxe Inn stood
  • I like how incredily quickly the land bank and the development community came up with this concept, if even it's not a formal proposal. That bodes very well for the future prospects of the site. For so long much was torn down in this city with no plan, and not even any interest, with these future brown and greenfields.

Looking at the rendering (which is looking north over the river) I was still a bit confused as to the site plan for this concept. They said it was an L shaped project with the fronts on the river and Washington, which would imply that nothing would front Malcolm X/Main. It got me thinking about exactly how they envision the groundfloor parking they speak of. I'd be really assured if a site plan shows something fronting the north end so that any at-grade parking would be hidden from view from the outside.

Needless to say, I really want to see some more renderings and a siteplan, because the project sounds awesome overall, particularly the deck cantilevered over the Grand.
  • I hope they do redevelop the property. I remember the first hotel they built on the property-multi colored and 50's "modern". I guess that dates me, but I was a child at the time.