Okemos & Haslett

Comments

• Well I'm glad to see there is some semblance of forward thinking when it comes to planning for downtown Okemos. That whole area looks like a real dump now, after the demos from the failed Douglas J project, and other old buildings in the area. Plus, it's only going to get bleaker for the near future after the hardware store goes out of business.

• I hadn't heard of the hardware store closing until I read your comment, and then I saw this on the LSJ:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/opinion/columnists/judy-putnam/2017/11/13/old-fashioned-hardware-store-okemos-closing/841069001/

Kris Elliot has bought up the store and a couple other adjoining properties and is going to try to redevelop the corner.

• This is pretty major news. The township finally got around to passing its master plan revision after seven years of fighting over it. It does things like designated three mixed-use town centers (Haslett, Okemos and Carriage Hills), upzones some residential areas, and most importantly creates a Urban Service Boundary, a concept that's been in place in some other cities for decades. It's the area within the township where certain township services will not be provided (like water and sewer service) to discourage sprawl.

Anyway, some resident NIMBYs were angry about the upzoning of residential areas, and the mixed usage in the town centers (surprise. lol), but it passed the board on a 6-1 vote.

• Sounds good. I'm curious how Okemos & Jolly, particularly Jolly Oak and west of there, is zoned? That new apartment complex by the MSUFCU is well under way, there's a new four floor Holiday Inn Express that just opened north of Staybridge Suites and another hotel is starting construction just east of Staybridge. The view along Jolly Oak is looking pretty dense by suburban standards.

• edited December 2017

It appears the Future Land Use map for the immediate area around the intersection is simple commercial, which combines the township's three existing commercial zoning, plus professional office and commercial recreation classifications.

But the area you're talking about specifically is Mixed Use Planned Unit Development, which they've basically took from being an overlay to making it its own classification. I guess they kind of grandfathered that in.

http://www.meridian.mi.us/Home/ShowDocument?id=5466

It's on page 19 of the plan. Oh, and the entire Meridian Mall property is included in the "downtown" Okemos zoning (PICA/Mixed Use Core) along with the Four Corners.

• I'd completely forgotten about the Elevation at Okemos Pointe:

http://elevationokemos.com/

• Yeah, that's the apartment complex I was walking about. I've been by it and it looked like at least two are three of the buildings are mostly up, they seem pretty tall. If I'm ever by in daylight I'll try to grab some pictures.

• Here we go, again...

OKEMOS — Douglas J has teamed up with a developer to revive long-awaited redevelopment plans for downtown Okemos.

A proposed $100 million development plan — which would be done in phases — would include the site of the former Traveler's Club and Tuba Museum, the current Douglas J building as well as the western corners of Hamilton and Okemos Road.

The sites will likely have a mix of retail, office space and residential units either for rent or for sale, developer Will Randle said, as Douglas J and True North Development announced the beginning stages of the plans Thursday.

And the potential timeline:

A new Douglas J site will be the anchor development, Randle said, and the first phase of construction could potentially have 100 housing units. Cleanup on the site could start was early as this fall with construction beginning in the spring, though the developer has not yet submitted plans to the township.

This development is possible because Meridian Township updated its zoning rules recently. This would be the biggest plan for downtown Okemos yet.

• I won't hold my breath for this project but with Douglas J back in it adds some legitimacy and given all the closed and closing businesses at that corner I certainly hope something happens sooner rather than later. $100 million is a lot of money for Okemos, especially for a project like this, it'll be interesting to see exactly what they're proposing.

• Douglas J was behind the last project too, so I'm not sure that makes it more likely. What makes it more likely to me is that the township seems to be more behind this than they've been with the other two proposals, and they look to have a legit development partner this time.