General Lansing Development

Comments

• Looks like the vacant gas station at Larch & Michigian was torn down, today. Hoping that they this is prep work for construction, but It since they haven't formally announced a project at the site, I have a bad feeling that they may make it a parking lot, at least for awhile.
  • Well, they didn't turn it into a parking lot, yet, and thankfully, they have it roped off, but it appears it wasn't for imminent construction.

BTW, I go to Frandor regularly, but JUST noticed, tonight, that an entire car dearlership - Williams Subaru - has been built literally in the shadow of the WLNS studio and antenna tower. It doesn't appear to be open, yet, but it was all lit up. I had no idea anything was being built at the site, though, I do remember some months back seeing construction equipment on the site. I thought they were using it as storage for a road project. This is just down the street from Williams Volkswagon at Howard and Saginaw.
  • edited January 2013
    'Bout time. The westside is getting another multiplex:
    DELTA TWP. — A new, stadium-style multiplex is coming to the region, this time on the west side of the Lansing area.

Regal Entertainment Group plans to open a 50,0000-square-foot theater at the Lansing Mall, mall owner Rouse Properties Inc. said. With 12 screens, the Knoxville, Tenn.-based chain’s new theater will double the number of screens currently available to moviegoers at an adjacent mall-owned site.
  • Buddy of mine who used to work at the mall said this is going in the old Mervins anchor location.
  • edited February 2013
    Public Sector Consultants is moving into the third floor of the former Michigan Dental Association at Washington and Ionia, this summer.

6114278569_f10ab53644_z.jpg
    MDA by NewCityOne, on Flickr

I really like this building. I just saw it the other night, and the companies that have already moved in have done a good job with the interior designs.
  • edited February 2013
    Word on the lot at Michigan & Larch right across from the Stadium District. The City Pulse is reporting there is a slight hang-up in the plans, but we get for the first time the general outline of what's planned for the site, and it is indeed an active proposal:
    Lansing developer Pat Gillespie is interested in transforming a prominent eyesore across the street from his Stadium District in downtown Lansing, but a key step in the process has been held up in Mayor Virg Bernero’s office for over two months.

The Ingham County Land Bank board approved an “option to purchase agreement” with Gillespie Development LLC in August for the property at 600 E. Michigan Ave., the southeast corner of Michigan and Larch Street. It was appraised for $60,000. The Land Bank obtained the property in July 2011 through tax foreclosure.

The proposed development envisions a three- to four-story mixed-use building with retail or commercial space on the first floor and rental apartments above. Gillespie is working with Studio Intrigue Architects on the project.

I was under the impression this was Scott Gillespie's project, but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, with the lot being smaller than the Stadium District's, it'll look more vertical.
  • edited March 2013
    It's not been specifically announced, but LEAP is saying that downtown's Lansing Grand River Assembly is going to expand by 400,000 square feet. The price tag is impressive, too, but the amount of space they are looking to expand is HUGE. This should take up a sigificant portion of the empty Lansing Car Assembly plot, next door.

This isn't a huge surprise, as this was one of the sites GM chose not to unload during its restructing, nor did they ever market it for another use, but it's finally good to hear the general outline of a plan for the site.
  • It's pretty awesome to see such development progress since the last time I logged in. I wonder how the new theater will affect the existing Goodrich theater. I'd hate to see one open just to close down the other.

I've noticed the expanding parking at LCA also, I drive by it every day on my way in to work. Regardless of the reason, the lot looks a hell of a lot better than the crumbling weed jungle that was there prior and I look forward to future ACTUAL development to the site.
  • I got the impression that it was Goodrich moving into the new facility. Maybe that's not the case.
  • edited March 2013
    I think the article stated that this was in addition to Goodrich.

I get the impression that they compete for different audiences, though, there will be some cross-over. Goodrich is a budget theater. Regal sounds like it's a higher-scale first run operation.

I don't see why Goodrich couldn't survive. Each of the malls used to have interior theaters, and then larger exterior ones in the outlot and general vicinity. Really, what's happening is that we are replacing all of the screens we lost in the region, and the west end hasn't had a full-scale first-run theater since the AMC across the street to the east of the mall closed down some years ago.