Eastwood Downtown Development District

Comments

• The link to the plan that you just posted doesn't work, maybe the URL has changed? I actually doubt we'll see a new updated master plan relatively soon now that we know how short of cash and staff the township's planning department is.
  • edited November 2016
    That link works when coming off their site but not here for some reason, it can be found here labeled as "DDA plan": Eastwood DDA

They also mention creating a new master plan in this December 2013 document: Eastwood tax increment fincancing plan - pdf (edit: I actually noticed it's simply stating that the Master plan was already completed)
  • edited November 2016
    More musical chairs at the towne center:

Tony Sacco's shuts down in Lansing Twp.
    LANSING TWP. - Tony Sacco's Coal Oven Pizza in Lansing Township closed earlier this month.

The gourmet pizzeria was located at 2328 Showtime Drive in the Heights at Eastwood next to Capital Prime. It opened in 2012 and was the first tenant in the Heights project, just north of Eastwood Towne Center.

A sign posted on the door of the business said it was closed for renovations. Another sign posted by management directs customers to eat pizza at Boston's Restaurant and Sports Bar, located across the street in front of Walmart.

The restaurant owner sold the lease to another company along with the liquor license, said Steve Hayward, executive director of the Eastwood Downtown Development Authority, which has an ownership stake in the Heights. Hayward declined to say what will replace Tony Sacco's.

"It's bittersweet, because they were one of our first tenants," Hayward said. "What's going in there is something that's not at Eastwood already. So it will strengthen the market."

It sounds like something is lined up. But, while businesses come and go at a mall, I just get the sense the township doesn't really know what direction it wants to go in with this place.
  • edited November 2016
    I'm also hearing Max & Erma'a closed its doors today as well. LSJ hasn't reported on that, but I have friends who work in the area that have noticed the change. I will be driving by there later tonight and will confirm. Max & Erma's held a prime piece of property within Eastwood so I'm assuming it won't be too long before they flip the building. I did check the Max & Erma'a website and the location for Lansing isn't listed anymore.

EDIT: I was able to confirm after driving by that Max & Erma'a is now closed.
  • edited November 2016
    I had heard on Thanksgiving about Tony Sacco's closing. Apparently they closed on the 21st or so while there was food still in the ovens and being prepared. I only went to Max & Erma's a couple times and I didn't think it was special enough to want to go there again.

Once Boston Pizza came in the days were numbered for Tony Sacco's. Lots of people want to try the new restaurant in town, and by placing two pizza places right next door there wasn't enough room for both to exist. It is expensive for the new owner to buy a business already in operation and with a known name only to close it, so I expect either the new owner to have big pockets or there could have potentially been a franchise agreement required to keep it running with the Tony Sacco's name and the new owner didn't want to pay up.
  • edited November 2016
    I can not be sad at Max & Erma's. I went once and never went back. Not horrible, but neither the food nor the experience was worth the price; I'm surprised it lasted that long.
  • Our one visit to Sacco's, did not like. Played the music extremely loudly, couldn't hear people at your table. Eh.
  • I have an aunt that loves Max and Erma's, she always wants to go there. I don't get it either.
  • I am not there for dinner often. It does seem like the market is working here. I think starting at square one with any new restaurants going in there, that would be to serve really good food. There are hundreds of places to eat in the area, why would people go to a place that is just OK. More good food and service, less thyme places with big names and cooperate food. We have some of the best pizza anywhere, like Casa Nova, and Bells just to name a couple, I don't understand why a business would offer inferior food and just expect people to buy it.
  • DTN announced plans today to build 100 apartments behind the Hyatt Place hotel, connected to the existing parking ramp. They said that they plan to break ground this summer and that if the demand continues and if they are able to secure another plot of land across Towne Center Blvd on the north side of the hotel they will build 300 to 400 more apartments.

More details at the LSJ, http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/01/12/new-apartments-at-the-heights/96483290/