Whitehills Town Center

2»

Comments

• My mother will love this if it is built. She lives in the area, but not in whitehills.
  • edited September 2018

We have a really rough/early proposal for this old site, again.

MERIDIAN TWP. - It's been 18 years since movie goers stopped coming to the 41-acre property on the corner of Newton Road and East M-78.

The entrance is barricaded by three, big concrete barriers. Weeds and vegetation have grown through cracks in the pavement beyond them and large trees have found a home on the property.

Super Cinemas, a 12-screen, second-run movie theater on the property that closed in 2000, was demolished 10 years ago. Before that it was home to the M-78 Drive-In, which welcomed upward of 2,000 cars at a time for two decades from 1969 to 1992.

The property is abandoned, but could be poised for redevelopment.

In July, the 41 acres were rezoned for commercial development, and last month Meridian Township officials got their first look at how the property's owners, M78 Insite Ventures, LLC, would like to redevelop the property.

That plan, a tentative look at what the company envisions doing, includes a mix of residential and retail development that could revitalize the vacant corner, less than a half mile east of Costco.

The plans for 6365 Newton Rd. call for the development of 288 apartments on 20 acres and a "large retailer" and "opportunities for outlot ancillary retail development" on the remaining acreage.

Since we last talked about this development, we've had a Meijer built just up the road in Bath Township at Marsh Road in 2012, and a Costco right down the other direction in East Lansing at Lake Lansing Road just a bit less than a year ago. Sounds like they are planning a big-box for this one, too, but with apartments surrounding it.

• edited October 2018

I found a good link for historical and aerial pics of that site:

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/driveintheaters.aspx?id=61&Type=1

One more from the journal on local drive-ins

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/life/2015/10/16/archives-lansing-area-drive-ins/74042798/

• edited October 2018

Also, I must admit that I'm not a fan of the development of that area, especially in the wetlands. There really is no reason to build that area out, except for developers and Meridian township to cash in on high-end sprawl...