General Lansing Development

Comments

• It is so great to see so many things happening in Lansing. I am thinking that it's time for the city to think about pedestrians and linking the downtown districts together with the new housing and residential neighborhoods. I am thinking about the Purdden area that is line to be adding hundreds of new residents. It would be great to have a pleasant safe way to walk to the stadium district or to the east end neighborhood, and on to downtown. The Purdden area is like on island surrounded by busy fast moving one way streets, but it is really close to the Old Town and the stadium district. I think right now most people would get into a car and drive, walking would be not a very nice experience. Plus with all the "tasting" going on over there it might be better for people to walk home.

• I agree that the Prudden area could be a nice node to build from and eventually join downtown and Old Town along Larch/Cedar. With Hepler's new project and another Gillespie development at some point the area is almost certain to grow at least some. I also really liked Hepler's idea of selling off some of the Saginaw frontage of Oak Park for development, though not necessarily to him. I could see dense development someday lining Larch and Cedar all the way from Kalamazoo to Grand River, something I'd really like to happen.

• edited July 2017

MichiGrain Distillery from Gillespie's facebook page:

• I just happened to be going through the Lansing Township website and noticed that the Board of Trustees there voted on a property tax exemption for 2722 East Michigan Avenue, which is the Regency Building across the street from Feldman Chevrolet:

Specifically, it's a Commercial Rehabilitation Exemption, which I guess is something townships can use to lower the property taxes of those developers seeking to rehab a building. So I guess they are going to rehab this one. Loopnet describes it as a 22,320 square foot building built in 1959. It's also got a basement and parking for 70. I don't believe it's ever been abandoned, but it's seen way better days.

While nothing major, it's good to see the township and developers recognizing that even the little stuff counts. The township has been so concerned with Eastwood that it's good to see them recognizing their commercial properties near Frandor, and hopefully, we see more of this in this area they've forgotten over the years.

• IN MAJOR LANSING DEVELOPMENT NEWS... nice to see that mega-pothole-asphalt CATA stop at Frandor get a nice concrete pad.

• edited July 2017

I've always wondered which streets through Frandor are city streets, and which parts of the parking lot are privately owned, so I wonder if this was the city's doing or the owners? Either way, that should make for both a more comfortable ride for the passengers and drivers and also make trips quicker because pull-outs will be faster without having to navigate potholes. lol

• I think this is part of Sellers Ave, a city street. The entrance next to the Skyvue building has also been repaved it is called Morgan Lane on googlemaps. Looks like more trees and landscaping are being added as well. Now we can add another half mile to the 33 miles of good roads in Lansing.

• edited July 2017

Two pieces of good news, today.

• A judged has granted an emergency restraining order for the mayor's project to ram through a driveway to Groesbeck Golf Course through Ormond Park, a neighborhood park adjacent to the golfcourt on the city's northeast side. However, the climbing wall and the swing sets in the park were already removed by the city a few days ago. Hopefully, this project is cancelled or at least sidelined long enough to wait for the next mayor to cancel it.

• QD is confirming they want to save their 100 year old warehouse which caught fire Saturday night. A lot of this I'm sure has to do with the fact that a community mural has been present on the side of the building for years, now, mostly recently redone a few years ago. Anyway, this should slightly disrupt their ice cream packaging operations, so you may notice some change in that over the coming weeks. QD has owned the old REO garage for over three decades; as well as being used for storage they also use it as a depot for their fleet.

• As a last resort, the mural is detachable.

• The building seems to have withstood the fire inside pretty well. Maybe now QD will fix it up and remove the trees growing on the roof. Why not a QD store in the street front building? The neighborhood needs a convenience store. Right now the gas station at Moores River Drive with the bullet proof plastic walls inside, is the only store selling "food" from Kalamazoo Street to Holmes on S. Washington. I won't go in there because I don't think they need the bullet proof walls anymore and should take them down. {they may have I have not been in there in a while}