REO Town Development

Comments

• I could see an old fashion ice cream stand in front and a regular store in the rear. It would not take much money to make a special setup.

• That would be perfect!

• Placemaking. This would be great

• I'm very happy about Good Truckin' moving to a larger location. It'd be a mainstay for me if I knew I could get seating without waiting outside. As it is I only go there once in a great while and I never take guests there because I don't want them stuck sitting at a bench in the cold.

• I wonder if they are going to keep the present location as well as open the larger place. They recently put new siding on the old storefront.

• It's my understanding that they will only have one storefront in REO Town. I'm sure somebody will snag up the vacated locale - or perhaps they already have, hence the freshened facade?

• I bet someone will take that spot quickly, for a new business a small space, already popular, it is much easier to manage and even make a little money. A small number of people in a large restaurant feels very different than the same number in a small space. I recently went to a new southern style place on MLK and the food was really good but the restaurant is huge and we were the only people in there at lunchtime. It was chilly in there and we felt like we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not a feeling that says let's go back there soon.
    I hope they give the new larger Good Truckin Diner a cozy warm feeling and they will fill up the new chairs all the time.

• Seems like there is not much to report these days. In REOtown the Great Wall is moving along. The wall itself is starting to take shape with the rebar and cast forms going up. They have moved tons of soil around and the hill looks higher. Back in the day before 496, the Scott House must have had a great view. They say it is all going to look really great "when it is all lit up". The BWL has also cut a lot of the trees and shrubs that buffered the view of the GM parking lot from the River Trail starting near the bridge and up to the substation area. Now we have a "better" view of the above ground steam lines and the parking lot. Maybe they plan to replant that area.

• There is renovation going on at another storefront in the 1100 block of S. Washington Ave... There is no sign telling what is going in either of the neighboring storefronts. Up the street, they are rehabilitating the rear of the new restaurant site [next to the biker club]. Maybe this is the final phase of the rehab.and they will be opening soon. One of the two MMJ shops on that block has closed. The one that is open is always very busy. Still, not much going on at the new distillery on the corner of Elm Street, upstairs they have created a nice meeting room. Next door the pottery making studio has a sign painted on the window but it does not look to be set up for pot throwing yet. The REOtown Marketplace has been drawing lots of shoppers, there is an interesting mix of things for sale in there, with a lot of space to display the vintage and new merchandise. The inside of the building is cooler than the outside with exposed brick and industrial windows in the back.