REO Town Development

Comments

• It is difficult to know what is going on at Pablo's, and I often wonder what in the heck they are building in there. I see people going in there every day, but there seems to be only slow progress and nothing looking like a restaurant so far. Down the street a new jewelry shop has opened, it looks nice. the new storefront for the new diner looks really nice, but the inside again seems to be a while from opening. The pottery studio has had some construction activity and may be near to opening.
    Also down the street at the burned out QD building they have removed the mural of the REO Clubhouse, I wonder if it was only a temporary installation or for what reason they have removed it? The building sure looks bad now and stands out for it's neglected state. Isn't Quality Dairy one of the largest companies in Lansing, I wonder why they are allowed to just leave it poorly boarded up with smoke stained bricks for years on the same street everyone is pointing to as such a success?

• GB, the Lansing State Journal has a great story on the interesting, little jewelry shop you spoke of:

LANSING — Emily Duffelmeyer sees herself as more of a steward of antique jewelry than a salesperson.

In the past eight years, the antique jewelry store owner has cultivated a collection of colorful Czech glass jewelry, Victorian lockets and art deco engagement rings.

"I’m very happy to find them a new home, but the sale and the ownership is sort of secondary to me," said Duffelmeyer, a lifelong collector. "These are all going to outlive us."

After nearly a decade of selling vintage and antique jewelry online, she opened her first brick-and-mortar space in REO Town last week. The name of the shop — Jean Jean Vintage — is a nod to the middle name she and her mother share. It was also her childhood nickname from her father, who died around the time she was starting the business.

The store:

The small shop has its original terrazzo floors and blue-green walls. There's framed prints of granite from Mexico City from local artist Debbie Carlos. The jewelry display cases are antiques. Duffelmeyer officially moved in in March.

Having a physical space means the people hoping to get a glimpse of the engagement rings she sells won't have to meet her in coffee shops anymore, she said. The shop will also let her have a more personal relationship with her customers. People who buy from her online are typically set on their purchases before reaching out.

I hope she does well, here.

• I think she will, there are lots of people coming to REOtown for shopping at the vintage shops this fits right in.
    I noticed a big renovation going on at the Moorse Park School building. The river side of the building has been removed. There was some kind of lab there, I wonder what is going into that space.

• edited June 2018

The Moores Park school building is going to be the new home for ASK Technology IT Provider. Good news for the neighborhood. It appears that the building next to REO Pub is going to be a nail salon rather than the new home of Good Trucking Diner.

• I have seen the sign announcing the business called "Nailed" but I think there may be two storefronts and an upstairs and Good Truckin's website refers to "building one" so they could be still planning an expansion. I'll take a closer look.

• So, GB, you asked about the old Quality Dairy warehouse a bit over a week ago. Did you notice, recently, that there is a sign up where the mural was that reads something to the effect of "Ellison Brewery coming"? I forgot if it said winter of this year or 2019, but it appears it's going to be a brewery.

Passed the substation earlier today. It looks like they stayed true to the renderings in terms of materials used, which is a relief. And, I actually thought the powerline poles looked shorter than I thought they would. Still, it's going to look pretty bad when they add the equipment to them.

• @MichMatters It says winter 2018. And Ellsion Brewery coming to REO Town is no small news, they run an extremely successful brewery in East Lansing despite being in a hard to find, barely fixed up warehouse with no food on their menu. They are a well-loved place by many and if their EL location is anything to go by they'll draw a bigger crowd than anything else in REO Town.

• edited June 2018

They are going to have quite the space, then, in this warehouse. Built in 1917, city records show it's almost 20,000 square feet. The property also includes the large parking lot; the whole parcel is over 1.5 acres.

As far as I can tell, Quality Dairy still owns the building, so maybe they'll be leasing it out to Ellison. You can also see from the permits pulled that they probably started this renovation back at the end of January. I love that the city puts this information on the property look-up tool, now. The last permit issue was on the 25th of last month to begin to repair the fire damage.

• I was up north for a while and I just saw a notice in my building about this project. This is great news as I have been disappointed to see the lack of progress at the site. While I do not really get into craft beers and all [I drink La Batt Blue!] it seems like lots of folks are into it. The building goes all the way to the river bank I hope they will have a river view in their plans.

• The news about Ellison is awesome! I keep meaning to make it up to the new brewery on the north end of Old Town, which looks to be nicely extending the walkable commercial area of Turner street.