General Lansing Development

Comments

• Quite a bit in next week's council agenda, but only a few things related to anything we talk about. The public hearing for the rezoning of Michigan & Larch property is up. The council will also hear public comment on the acquisition of some park properties using some DNR grants, the most notable one being the project to connect the trail between Waverly and Frances Park to Cambridge Road.

• I wonder what projects the Mayor is talking about? The changing skyline is very interesting.

• edited March 2018

Finally got some information back from the council on the Form-Based Code. It appears it's stuck in the Committee of the Whole, but is not dead. Leadership is studying some legal and administrative questions concerning the switch. When they'll bring it back before the public is not known, so I'd still ask you guys if you haven't to advocate for this if this is something you support via the contacts I posted on the previous page.

BTW, I've been driving by it for years, but I just noticed that the old office building at 1120 East Oakland - two blocks west of Penn - has been renovated. I tend to remember it being home to an old Lansing NAACP chapter for years before it went vacant years ago. Very small office building, but it was always maintained while it was occupied, so it was nice to see it renovated. It looks like it was sold in late 2016, and is zoned for office and industrial uses. With that industrial strip behind it coming back, I doubt it will sit empty for long. Love seeing these smaller, older neighborhood facilities being brought back up.

• Mich - I'd be willing to write a letter advocating form-based code, but since I am not a Lansing resident, would it be worth doing?

• edited March 2018

Doesn't matter who it's from, really. They just need to know why it'd be good for Lansing. In fact, looking back through some council meetings when I was trying to research when they last talked about this, it seems that a few councillers were even surprised the FBC didn't go further and were really interested in how other cities were doing it. So some were really looking for the best ideas from anywhere.

• "Parking Madness: San Jose vs. Lansing" https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/28/parking-madness-san-jose-vs-lansing/

Glad to see Lansing finally getting some of that national recognition it deser... oh.

• Heartbreaking and accurate

• edited April 2018

A great grocer to have would be the Whole Foods 365 concept that they opened in Brooklyn last year. It's a lower cost Whole Foods, https://www.365bywholefoods.com/

This is pretty major news, but I really wish that the grocery store would go on one surface parking lots closer to Washington Square, such as on the parking lot at Grand and Michigan Ave or replacing the vacant building at Allegan and Grand.

• edited April 2018

This is such great news, and kind of points to my suspicion that the Larch/Michigan site is going to be a fairly significant development.