REO Town Development

Comments

• Up, on Malcolm X the Main Street Apartments have put up new large signs rebranding the complex as the ReoTown Apartments. I did not notice any renovation going on otherwise, maybe they are putting in granite countertops so they can charge $1,200 a month! It is nice there on the riverside, the highway view on the other side might not be so great.

• Just when it seemed that Pablous renovation had totally stalled there is a cement truck pouring at this site today!
    Down the street the new brewery has installed large windows on the north side of the building. It looks like progress is continuing there.

• Glad to hear about Pablos! Maybe their new competition in Old Town pushed them to get moving at their other location!

• edited January 2019

The LSJ has an article on Pablo's:

LANSING — Just in time for the start of patio season, Pablo's will open a new location in REO Town.

The Mexican restaurant's owner, Pablo Maldonado, said opening day is planned for May 5 at the new REO Town location, inside the former Standard Oil station at 1102 S. Washington Ave.

"When we moved to Old Town to open our first restaurant, there was a lot to do to become successful in this part of town," said Maldonado, who opens Pablo's Panaderia in 2005. "Finally we did. Now the neighborhood is a very nice, beautiful neighborhood."

He wants to do the same in REO Town. Maldonado said he aimed to bring something different to REO Town and give back to the city.

The new location will have a 120-person seating capacity, including 20 indoor tables and 10 patio tables for the summer. The restaurant will serve lunch and dinner daily, Monday through Sunday.

Maldonado bought the South Washington Avenue building in 2014 and had initially planned to open by April 2018.

• Hooray! Pablos REO town is finally going to be done! And will provide a perfect spot to chill with a beer in the summer sun!

• My windows look out at this building and it has been a long haul for this project. I will enjoy going there and watching all the activity from up here.
    The Nailed Shop has help wanted signs up so maybe they are going to open soon. There was recent activity at the "Rusty Nail" though I don't know what there were doing, it looked stalled the last time I peeked in. They have installed three large window banks at the brewery on the north-facing wall where the mural was. I hope that means the street front is next. When they build the new hotel and apartments and all these buildings open there will be so many people here in REOtown, it has been so interesting to watch this neighborhood change so much just since 2015 when I moved in here. Across the street at the Washinton Apartments folks with curtains and furniture have moved in! and for the first time, not one window has a wad of broken window blinds showing that used to "ghettoize" the building.

• I live about a mile from reo and am so stoked at what has been happening here. On Ellison, anyone know what the place is actually going to look like? In my head I'm envisioning a beer hall atmosphere, mainly from the shape of the building. Would love it if Detroit Frankie's came back home to Lansing.
  • There is a drawing of the new brewery on one of these pages, it's painted a cream white with big windows. There is a lot of space so they could do many things inside, I think an outdoor area is planned as well
    It looks like the key shop is moving across the river to a spot next to Baba Gumps BBQ on River Street. I'm thinking that the S. Washington building was too big for their needs. Sort of an unexpected move as they had just renovated the building and parking lot. Maybe they are looking at it like flipping the building and making some money from the sale.

• At the brewery, they have installed the front door and some more windows. I am not sure what to call this part of the building, perhaps a transom, a half floor of windows at the roof line? Anyway, they have restored the windows up there and they look really good. This space is huge, a block deep all the way from the street to the river. I hope they will have good food and a light crisp pilsner, I would love to have another good restaurant I can walk to. The record shop has moved from the small shop they have been in, to the REOtown Market Place. The owner said she wanted a larger space, but the Market Place looks closed most days and you can not really see that there is an open shop in there except on Saturdays. I am not sure that this is a good move frontage right on the street to the inside of a building. I hope it works out it really is a very good record shop.

• I was very happy to see that they have emptied the junk and collection of old trucks, cars, and construction equipment from the parking lot next to the building at W. Barnes Ave, and S. Washington Ave... It had really gotten bad in recent weeks I'm glad to see the city made them clean up this lot. What would really be great is if the building was sold to someone who really wanted to put it to good use.
    On another spot over here, I wonder why the new Nailed spa has not opened. The place has looked all ready to go for weeks now with every station all set up. Looks nice anyway!