Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• I like the brainstorming about this site. I have been thinking about this project that seems to be stalled and wishing they would get it going before another economic downturn comes along thanks to that fellow in DC. The current plan is not "that bad" but all of these buildings could be built on the other side of 127 [ the center of our city that looks like the third world] and the Red Cedar site could be part of a the park system. I know that area of town is in Lansing Township, maybe Lansing could petition to take over this area which should be part of Lansing. I would not like to give up on the current project and I believe that it is going to start this year. I hope what they do build will be of high quality and design combined with the drain project it could be really cool.

• You guys have probably seen this, but this Capitol Corridor Study has a really cool plan for the Frandor/Red Cedar area on page 99.

http://migrand-charrette.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Capitol_Corridor_042814-web.pdf

I’d love to see Frandor become a complete neighborhood with residential and everything.
  • The city council hired Fahie Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC as outside counsel for the Montgomery Drain section of this project last month. Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes works with municipalities around the area for drain projects as they require either complicated or intensive work on special assessments for properties in the area.

• It's alive! Thank you for posting this notice.

• Is Forsberg involved in this? He's listed as in attendance.

• There were four items at that meeting. Forsberg was there for Item #3 (brownfield for The Wing).

• oh yeah. Totally missed the wing was on the agenda.

• edited February 2019

Found out through the grapevine that Meyers + Associates are the architects of the dual-brand hotel, here. They have a rendering on their website:

This will be a Hyatt House on one side and a Hyatt Centric on the other. Centric is the full-service hotel and House is an extended-stay residential hotel, which will be great for the visiting scientists to the FRIB, which has always been something they talked about as a target customer base. Currently, the only other hotel of that type near campus is the Candlewood Suites East Lansing (which is technically in Lansing) down at the end of Forest Road south of Forest Akers golf course, and it was built decades ago and is rather dated and isolated.

Nothing special architecturally, which we already knew. But this is the first higher-quality rendering we've seen to give you a better idea of what this will look like. I've also heard there has been a slight rearranging of the site plan so that more of the development will be on the parking plinth, taking away some bulk along the eastside of the development, which I think is a good idea.

Anyway, construction is still scheduled for Spring.

• Not bad! I like that this is a contemporary design and not trying to be something that kind of looks like another style from the past. I like that this drawing has no false roofs or whatever they call those slabs on top of a lot of new buildings. Seems like a couple more floors could be incorporated without much trouble. What's the best thing about this is that it proves that this project is ongoing and maybe we are going to be seeing some action on that site soon! Knock Wood!