Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• He's lying. It's that simple. I know Lindemann and think he's fantastic and his heart is in the right place and has done amazing things for this region. His legacy is firmly cemented, far beyond Bernaro or Hollister. But he's a total salesman. Sabatoa, he lied to you about the cost. There's not going to be 25'-waterfalls into the river. There's probably barely a 25' drop from Saginaw to the river. And does anyone really believe the sledding hill is going to double in height? I don't. You're talking about a 80-90' sledding hill. Not at that site! You literally can't make that hill ANY higher without turning two sides into into a vertical wall (the east and west facing slopes). This is geometrical fact.

Is anyone on here a designer? Has anyone studied urban planning? I have very little faith that you guys are looking at this critically enough.

• michmatters: "It's crazy in hindsight that the city allowed the developers to develop the Frandor area on what was literally flood-prone wetlands."

What's crazier is that we're allowing them to do it again. Don't you see the irony?

• edited February 2019

"I have very little faith that you guys are looking at this critically enough."

Speaking for myself, I am looking at this critically. The Ranney Park plans are at this point are a sales tactic and don't address any of the issues with the large surface parking lots of Frandor. The city and county aren't flush with cash to pay for this, and the developers certainly aren't going to spend money to make a park across the street from their development any better when they're trying to cut corners on their actual development.

But as far as critiquing each element of the proposal, to me it's not worth my time calling out each detail when I think the project at large is still too nebulous and undefined. By the way, he didn't say "25' waterfalls in to the river", he said "25 waterfalls are going to be built along the river". So those could be 25 waterfalls all at a height of 6" each, for example. The devil is in the details, there's nothing that says each "waterfall" will be 1 foot in height, heck they could be 3" in height, more like steps. And there's nothing that says each waterfall will feed in to the next. There could be 10 waterfalls that are all adjacent to each other, for example.

As for making the park better, they could simply put in a pond, paved walking/running paths, and grade the sledding hill a little better. Nothing more is really needed from an aesthetic point-of-view. It'd be much better if more attention was put towards removing large portions of asphalt from the Frandor parking lots.

• Gb: should Frandor be striving to be Eastwood? That's a really low bar.

• Jared, the way I understood these drain projects is that the money comes from taxes levied specifically at the property owners within the watershed/drain area. Not necessarily from County tax payers at large. I might be wrong though...

• Thanks for the clarification, however even if the money is coming from property owners within the watershed/drain area, that's tax money that could be used elsewhere that is now focused on this specific project.

I'd rather that we don't aspire to build the Taj Mahal here with this money and instead focus on some of the deeper infrastructure issues we have.

• I'm with you!!

• this is the crux of it. We're ready to do 280 Million dollar worth of construction gymnastics to alleviate a water problem. THE BEST THING WE COULD DO FOR WATER HEALTH IS TO NOT PAVE OVER 300 MORE ACRES OF PERVIOUS SURFACE. ECOLOGY 101. Anyone that disagrees is an IDIOT. Yes, an idiot.

• Jared, I didn't see your comment earlier. You whipped that out! I appreciate your thoughts on it a agree w all your points.

Sorry Sabatoa, I read that wrong about the 25 waterfalls. Twenty Five waterfalls along the river sounds amazing! I'm all for this!! .......and actually, a 25' waterfall sounds even more amazing, but we're not talking about Grand Ledge here :)

• You can edit posts. It's the little "option" wheel in the upper right-hand corner of a post.