General Lansing Development

Comments

• I was glad to hear the city is going after the former owner for the money they stole while leaving this building to fall apart. Very bad Spartans! I hope they do not own that title anymore.
    I also hope this a for real we are building not dreaming project for the Urban system guy.

• Waterfront Bar & Grill in the City Market has decided to take their case their case up to the Michigan Supreme Court, which gives them about another month and a half in the building, at least:

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2019/06/06/legal-filings-waterfront-bar-and-grill-restaurants-lansing-city-market-summer/1350816001/

It seems as if this last delay tactic is to allow for the city to process the liquor license for its Spring Street location, which hasn't been processed, yet. They must be doing well to afford all of these legal fees. Anyway, we'll find out in mid-July, probably, if the supremes take up the case or simply decide all of the other courts had it right.

• Well I assume they're not paying rent during this time so at least that money can go towards the lawyers lol.
  • The article specifically says they are paying rent during all of this. lol

• Well, that's what I get for skimming the article lol. Yeah, it is costly, but maybe they are just doing the bare minimum legally to keep the case alive?

• edited June 2019

Or - and here me out - they are making a lot of money. Months-long appeals and then taking it all the way up the the supreme court ain't cheap. Most business would have stopped after the district court ruling. Their menu is overpriced for what it is, if you ask me, and I'm sure they make a killing off drinks to all of the downtown workers and all the new residents who live nearby. This place is the one place that's always been busy on this side of the river.

There must be more business down there than even I know of, because I've always wondered how MP Social next door in Marketplace has been able to compete.

• The city has a survey the LSJ reported on today:

Share your thoughts: Should Lansing build a concert, performing arts space downtown?

Thought you guys might be interested.

• edited June 2019

Tanin on the Eastside opened last week:

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2019/06/14/italian-eatery-tannin-reopens-east-side/1448714001/

Appetizers include fresh-pulled mozzarella and calamari. Hand-made pasta dishes include crab-stuffed shells and gnocchi with pesto.

The new menu also features half sizes, sides a la carte and local foods, such as goat cheese.

I like the idea of half sizes. It makes them more accessible. I'm going to have to try them soon.

• Even though wines with too much tannin can me chock:} I will look forward to trying the calamari, have not had any since I left Mass... You could catch them [squid] right off the town wharf so they were very fresh! but not fun to clean. Very inky!

• I was there yesterday and I'm happy to report that business looks good for them. We made reservations, which looks important if you're looking for a seat there on Friday night, but they do have bar seating where walk-ins could get full service while watching the kitchen staff.

I plan to return. It was really neat looking out the window and seeing bustling Michigan Avenue, the new apartments across the street, etc. I saw a few references to 'East Town' along the strip, so I wonder if developers are in the early stages of trying to market the neighborhood like REO Town and Old Town.