Southside Lansing Development

Comments

• Oh yes, Topps now I remember that store sat down there in the same low spot with nothing else around it so it was easy to see when driving by. It had a cool semi-circle roofline over the front.
  • I didn't know that the Krogers and former EDS buildings (and their associated buildings) were that old. For some reason, I imagined they'd replaced earlier buildings, but they're just remodels?
  • I think that the Korger building is a newer building. The Topps Department Store was there in the '60s and I believe it was a smaller building. But they could have used it a the core of the new building. I can not remember what was down there in the '70s. The same goes for the EDS building seems like the Yankee Store was smaller. The strip malls that surround this site were built in the '80s and '90s except for the tire/ax-throwing store! They are fixing that building up as well.
  • They are both remodels, State of Michigan used the Topps building in the 80's, my sister worked there. Kroger was originally in Logan Center before relocating to it's current location in the late 90's.
  • edited September 2019
    Went on the website to look it up. The old EDS Building at 930 West Holmes was built in 1968; the Kroger at 921 West Holmes was built in 1962 (gas station in 2007).
  • Parks in the parking lots maybe this a new tread! I like that idea. The park in the parking lot, they are building at the nearby storage facility is looking good with the grass starting to grow, they planted quite a few larger trees which looks nice. The park-let is small but at least they built it. Much like the plaza on the south side of the BWL wall, it looks nice but I don't think many folks will hang out there. Maybe if they moved the CATAbus stop people would use the park as a nice place to wait for the bus, and this location might encourage people to cross at the light there instead of crossing Holmes in the middle by Korger to get to the bus stop there.
  • It's making the best of a bad situation, but like a lot of these areas, the problem is with the basic site plan of the plaza. There is too much parking and the building is set too far back. A lot of these shopping centers need to simply be torn down and rebuilt in a fashion that's much more pedestrian friendly. Of course, that's easier said than done. But a lot of the problems - crime, vacancies, loitering - are simply a product of failed 50's and 60's (sub)urban design.
  • So I was driving on S Pennsylvania today and I noticed that the buildings at 6425 S Pennsylvania were being demolished. They were the office buildings directly north of Motorcars of Lansing. I hadn't heard about anything going on there and was curious if anyone else had heard anything.
  • I noticed that demolition as well. I suspect Motorcars of Lansing is expanding its lot... there is a car up on a pedestal with MoL advertising on it on site.

At any rate, I am glad to see those ugly, inefficient, brutalist 70s 80s building go. The more the merrier!!!