Block600 (600 East Michigan)

Comments

• I swear I saw a lone worker on a cherry picker doing some work on the back of the project, today. Don't know if they were just securing something, or if he was breaking the shut down regulations. lol
  • Lansing Twitter is saying Capital City Market will open in October. I do not doubt it. I see that they've already done most of the wiring in the market as the lights are on, now. It will almost certainly open before the apartments and hotel are completed.
  • I was by here yesterday and noticed they have begun installing the landscaping around the rear parking area access drive with a good number of trees and other plantings. They have painted a large colorful mural depicting fruits and flowers [I think?] on the south-facing walls where I would guess the main entrance to the grocery store will be. I am very excited about that part of this development. I am "liking" the exterior treatments more as they are being finished, they did use the corrugated metal in a few areas but those areas are painted black so it is hard to pick out. I am hoping they are planning on replacing trees on the Michigan Ave side, down the street at The Avenue and "Provident"? Place the trees have been replaced with small shrubs which to me is disappointing.
  • Here is the mural on the back you were talking about courtesy Gillespie Group:

Eg8GcjtWoAIn8iO?format=jpg&name=large

There is also a very cool rock sculpture at the entrance to the access drive. Since it's up on the hill, it's pretty prominent.
  • edited September 2020
    The signage on the market went up, today. It looks really classy.

Looks like the City Pulse did a write-up on this one on their website. The apartments are to open next month, the market soon after, and the hotel in January of February. Apparently, 12 of the 40 apartments are already leased.
  • edited September 2020
    A few more pictures, these from the mayor's twitter account:

Eh9vUetWAAE5Uyu?format=jpg&name=medium

Eh9vUetXsAEzGMv?format=jpg&name=medium

The exterior lighting has also been installed. The apartment and market section really came together well and looks better than the rendering. The hotel portion, though, looks a little worse than the rendering in my opinion. But it always seemed like it was the architectural after-thought part of this project. Kind of unfortunate.

BTW, I can't be amused enough how Liskey's is just determine to work through all of this. lol I suspect in the not-to-distant future they'll give up the ghost. It'd allow for the apartment wing to expand to the driveway.
  • I saw a billboard on S. Cedar announcing that the market is opening on October 15th. I am liking this building more as it comes along, it has some nice urban style details and even the colored panels seem to be of high quality. I hope that maybe some nice signage and lighting will help the hotel side. It is kind of stark right now. Are the "Juliette Balconies" part of the hotel or the apartments? I like that detail.
  • I like this building overall as well. I'm still not a huge fan of the paneling on the upper floors but as a whole the building is a nice addition to that corner even without the market. Having that market is going to be huge for the area and me personally, I often buy meat and produce the day I cook so it will be a huge help.

I think the balconies are for the apartments and the hotel is in the eastern half.
  • I am a day shopper too, I am considering getting a basket for my bike for short-list shopping trips. I could take the River Trail and pop up on Michigan Ave by the museums. It will be nice to have that option. It will be interesting to see how Meijers keeps up this store and also to see the mix of urban folks shopping there.
    I recently went to the Kroger store on S. Cedar at Willoughby, because my favorite new pot shop called Jarrs is down there, and I was struck by the difference from my usual Kroger on S. Holmes. The Holt store was overall a much nicer store. I think all their stores should be kept up and well-stocked in the same way.