Streets & Transit

Comments

• edited August 2020
    I think you misunderstand. Short of them having to buy property from the homes along the riverbank - which is never going to happen - or putting a boardwalk in, their plan for the trail extension is simply to use Moores River Drive as a shared roadway. This has always been the problem with the extension. It's not a 'real' extension, it'll just legally codify the path people already take to Frances Park from the east. They'll probably just put up some "share the road" signs along the Drive and call it a day.

I hadn't heard of them finishing this (it's been planned for decades). You have any links to anything showing this project?
  • I read this on the River Trail website. It talked about road closing etc. There is room for a shared roadway east of MLK and some parkland and wide sidewalks from there to the west.
  • I won't know how to act with this portion of Waverly having been redone. lol

• This is good to see, I have avoided that road for years. Is the speed limit going to be 45mph? Drivers would haul ass down this stretch when it was crappy I think the lead-foots will love this! I would like to see this type of RR crossing on S Washington. The CN crossing there has become really "ridged"? causing cars to scrape their bottom or divers pull into the slightly better bike lane to avoid the bumps.
  • edited August 2020
    Update from yesterday:
  • edited August 2020
    CATA receives $1.8 million to rehab downtown bus terminal
    LANSING – The Capital Area Transportation Authority is getting $1.8 million in federal money to rehabilitate its downtown Lansing depot.

The project will rehabilitate the downtown station, improving safety, increasing accessibility for passengers and making needed repairs, according to CATA. Construction at the terminal could start during the spring or early summer of 2021 and run through the late winter or early spring of 2022.

"Constructed in 1998, the CTC is due for renovation," said CATA spokesperson Lolo Robison. "Maintenance has been ongoing, but rehabilitation must be completed to ensure state of good repair, as defined by Federal Transit Administration."

List of specific renovations are in the article.
  • The construction on Forest Rd between Stoneleigh Dr and Collins Rd is complete. Same alignment as before: 2 lanes with a bike lane on each side.
  • I was able to take my favorite back route to the P.O. via Hazel Street which has reopened and Aurelius. The Big MJ grow house on Hazel looks more fortress-like every day, a new owner has taken over the little cafe on the corner of Penn and Hazel, newly painted it looks better. Nothing but the grass being mowed has changed at the Holmes Street School, that was disappointing. On the newly opened Forest Road, I was surprised to see they only repaved about half of the road from Stoneleigh Drive east. The new hospital looks very large [for Lansing] and impressive. A smaller structure is being built in front of the main building, I noticed the steel framing going up. You can see the new building on the WLNS webcam when they show the southern view standing up above the treeline.
  • Looks like the vacation of Jerome Street between Penn and Holmes Street, and Holmes Street between Jerome and Michigan, passed during the August 10 council meeting, because I noticed today that the street signage has been changed from the regular green to blue. This was requested to give Sparrow flexibility whenever they decide to expand to the north on the former Eastern property. As I posted before, this was a conditional vacation where the city was able to condition it on maintaining non-motorized pathway designation along part of these streets regardless of how Sparrow develops the area in the future.

I don't expect them to actually change the configuration of the streets much as both are used as an important access for ambulances from their Jerome Street exit. That said, this does essentially make them driveway for the hospital, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign the streets to ban regular auto travel around the loop, eventually.
  • In train spotting news, I saw the Amtrak Blue Water passing by this morning and noticed the brand new passenger coaches built by Seimens have been put into service! I will have to take a better look but I think they may have even replaced the ancient cafe car. The new coaches look really great, they seem to be taller or more 'boxed out?" which I would guess indicates a larger space inside. One day when I find a trustworthy cat sitter I am going to take that train!