Streets & Transit

Comments

• Are the "islands" in the middle and the connecting streets in the township? They are some of the worst and most confusing and that's saying something!
    I think I saw the access road behind the eastern Frandor building had been closed. I wonder if that is for the drain project?
    I do wonder why they only have funds to repave half the lanes in the streets here, I have seen 20-mile stretches of rural "F" roads and small-town "M" state highways repaved this season and not just one side of the road. It would seem to be the best plan to repave the whole street it will just add cost in the future for not.
  • edited October 2020
    The island between Clippert and were Grand River and Saginaw meets is the City of Lansing. West of Clippert is the township to Merrill Street. The only island of East Lansing in this area that intrudes west of Coolidge is the little triangle where the Lead Salad Bar restaurant is locaion. Here's a drain map I downloaded showing the municipal boundaries.

yhbj37w3b29g.png
  • If you're ever interested in municipal boundaries in general you can just search a city or township on Google Maps and it will outline its borders in red.
  • Bing maps is even better for this. On Google, after you zoom in to a certain degree, the city boundaries disappear. Bing maps also appear to have more recently updated city boundaries. Google maps, for instances, leaves off the land-sharing agreement boundaries we have to the airport in Clinton County. What Google is superior on is streetviews; Bing's are often ridiculously outdated.
  • edited October 2020
    Hey, anyone know what's going on on Old Lansing Road immediately east of Waverly? It looks like it may just be underground utility work, but maybe it's curbs-and-gutters or a sidewalk?

Edit: Oh, I see. On the county road department's website, they say they are widening the street east of Waverly. From a Sep update:
    Work also to be done on the easterly leg of Old Lansing Road at Waverly Road to create a left turn lane and add east and west bound left turn signals. Completion expected soon.

I wonder how far this left turn lane will go up the road? Again, would really like to see this 'road' turned into a legitimate street, at least east of Waverly.
  • The I-496 project is completed, though I think they are still doing some touch-ups on fewer than a handful of ramps and bridges.
  • Now that 496 is open again I would guess that is the reason they have installed a huge new electric billboard on the eastbound side. The new sign is much brighter more colorful than the old one and is also animated changing ads 30 seconds or so. I can see it from my apartment on S Washington! It is not a problem for me but It would be very bright if I was closer like the Reotown Apartments on Malcome X.
    I was over on the east side yesterday looking at a sweet house for sale on Leslie Street, as I drove up to Michigan Ave I noticed police blocking the westbound lanes. I was like "oh no not more crazy trump losers in a parade". So I had to go back down to Kalamazoo to get back to the Capital City Market, while shopping I was relieved to see that it was not trump-nuts but some sort of Catholic procession, with Priests and Alter Boys leading the way in the pouring rain. I wonder what that was about? It was cool to see this urban event march by the windows while I was grocery shopping.