Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• Yeah, the part between Sag and GR in particular was practically a moonscape. It was embarrassing.
  • I wonder if they are going to finally add the signal at Clippert and Grand River finally. I remember reading about it a year or so ago and never saw anything of it. Seems like a good time as any to do that. The stop sign is totally a trap, anyone who knows the area knows to avoid trying to turn left out of Clippert and Grand River.
  • @Darklink Yeah, that would be nice also. I'm definitely one of the people that avoids that left turn at all costs during the day.
  • It'd also prevent crashes at GR and Homer. But, alas, you'd have heard about traffic studies and plans if they'd planned for something like this, and I've never heard of any such project for this area. I'm actually still not entirely sure of the jurisdiction of Clipper in Frandor, and will try and contact the city. The recent construction announcement mention it's a Ingham County Drain Commissioner project, which would make sense since at least half the street is in the township. But the construction map of the Public Service Department's website lists at least the part north of Saginaw as a City of Lansing project. In either case, any change to that intersection would have to be a joint city-county project.

I'll cry about it, forever, but the city really needs to annex this whole section around the freeway. There are too many jurisdictions to deal with in this area.
  • ..And I'll continue to cry about annexation of those areas right along with you.
  • And I may have even described how relatively easy this could be. You have to look no further than the small annexation at the northwest corner of Jolly and Waverly a few years ago. Since I'm sure the business owners would be opposed, you just find a favorable homeowner/apartment building in the area to the proposed annexation and draw them into the annexation area. Then it's up to the vote of those residents. In this case, it looks like it have to be an apartment building north of Grand River on the other side of the freeway. It'd certainly be worth the try.
  • I'd agree it's certainly worth a try, we just need a politically and legally adept person to get behind the idea.
  • edited May 2021
    BTW, Andy was mayor back when we did the little trick to get the 11 acres at Jolly and Waverly in Nov 2018. So they certainly know how to do it. Maybe this just needs to be brought to their attention. Still, he's sort of a timid guy and might be afraid to piss off Lansing Township.

Got a reply back from the county; Clippert is a city street from Kalamazoo to Grand River, so you'd contact the Public Safety Department about any improvements.
  • And here I was always blaming the township for the horrible state of the block between Saginaw and Grand River. It's really disappointing to hear that it's been the city's negligence all along, there's no excuse for it getting to the point that it was at.
  • Yeah, I was always yelling about the township, too. lol At least we know who to contact, now, about problems and upgrade ideas. I'd definitely push the idea of a traffic light at Clippert and GR.