Red Cedar Renaissance

Comments

• I am sure that this is for the drain project but it was still kind of shocking to drive down Michigan Ave today and see that they have cut down nearly every tree in the center median across from Frandor! I guess this is were the streams are going to flow through. It is sad to see those old trees get cut down, I am hoping that the new reclaimed streams will look beautiful enough to be worth their demise.
  • edited June 2021
    Yes, this is part of the drain commissioner's project:

https://cms3.revize.com/revize/inghamcounty/Department/Drains/Documents/20210625 Press Release-Michigan Ave Tree Removal.pdf
    For the trees that are removed from these median areas, Drain Commissioner Lindemann intends to replant new trees in the surrounding areas at a 3 to 1 replacement ratio. This work is being done to prepare for rain garden construction within the Michigan Avenue median. These rain gardens will greatly reduce the amount of polluted runoff, and will significantly improve the stormwater quality of the runoff, that will ultimately discharge to the Red Cedar River.

This work is anticipated to be completed by Friday, July 2, 2021. Access to all businesses and roads adjacent to the median work will be maintained throughout the duration of this work.

56466359_271858480423513_4867690928539697152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=973b4a&_nc_ohc=b3G7RthygqwAX-TPhcp&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.fna&oh=87b7cdec1e383958584c3dbc1f179b99&oe=60E13C04

I understand your reaction. It's probably the same one when I saw that they clear cut the old Wavery Golf Course, recently. And that is even more disappointing, because the development over there is more disappointing. When you see they cut it all down and then the first business is going to be a car wash, it's a bit depressing. lol
  • That Waverly Golf Course development is the worst. Honestly, it seems better off to leave it greenspace than to do what they're planning. Seriously, a car wash. I'm so annoyed with that project.
  • This does look nice and I am very pleased about the rain gardens and the reduction of pollution, it is a good thing. I wonder if they are planning any pedestrian pathways through the gardens as it seems like they maybe hard to see while driving by. I also hope they plant some decent sized trees to shade to street.
    I have not been over to the west side, did they cut down all the trees? It is so lame to plan this totally suburban style development, it is such a large area I could see several "urban villages" with lots of common green space connecting them. They did not ask me or anyone with an imagination apparently! The first building is a car wash wow, I was thinking we don't' have enough of those here.
  • I saw that sign for the car wash at the Waverly Golf course site the other day and couldn't do anything other than laugh a little. I mean, I don't even mind suburban style businesses fronting Saginaw that much. I just wish they'd design better neighborhoods on the rest of the land, that problem isn't unique to that development though.

• Those ones were supposed to be senior apartments, maybe even assisted living at one point. I'm not sure how things changed with the final site plan.
  • edited July 2021
    Edit: Just realized I was disoriented. This is the senior apartments BEHIND the market rate apartments on Michigan Avenue. I drove up Clippert today, and saw that this wasn't the corner.
  • I noticed the other day that they have installed the windows and doors on the ground floor of the "University Edge" buildings on the east side of the development. They look good, seems like there is going to be a lot of retail space[for these days] on the ground floor. I am hoping for a lot more landscaping which they have also started to install. I will have to take a better look but there seems to be a lot of bare cement walls lining the the berm that the building sit on at the sidewalk level, I was thinking that area was going to be green space at the sidewalk-street level. They are not finished yet so maybe it will look OK.
  • The University Edge building are looking pretty good with the finishing work on going, I like the awnings they give a contemporary boost to the look to the buildings. They have planted a lot of landscaping, I hope the plants and shrubs will soon cover the bare cement walls at the sidewalk/street level, that could have been a nice touch with tile or at least paint on those walls.