Natural Lansing: Parks, Foresty and Nature

Comments

• edited January 2023
    You captured the trail situation in SW Lansing along Waverly perfectly. Nice detail. I also want to see your proposed trail along the Consumers property along the power lines heading west from the current terminus of the trail at Waverly.
  • Thanks for checking it out. I really want to get to a relevant meeting one these days to bring up some of those ideas and discuss their plausibility with somebody involved in trail planning. Regardless, I'm very glad to see the amount of new trails that are already in the master plans.
  • That map is so cool. You put a lot of effort in to it. I especially like the orange routes that you have dreamt up. The region has so much potential! Adding in bike lanes would really fill in the map even more. I would like to see more protected bike lanes in the Lansing area.
  • Thanks, I actually do have categories for existing bike lanes and my ideas that can be checked on the side. The existing bike lanes aren't an exhaustive list but I think I got most of the main ones in Lansing at least.
  • edited March 2023
    Looks like the council will approve the acceptance of federal grants for some path projects, next week. Included are:

- Ranney Park Pathway/Coolidge Road/Grand River Avenue: Connecting areas north of Saginaw to Ranney Park and then the River Trail
    - East Street Pathway: path between May & Shiawassee following the CSX railroad tracks.

Where can we find the original source data/maps for these? I know you created the Google map, Hood, but I was curious where the masterplan is?
  • edited March 2023
    The city's trails master plan is on page 71 of the 2020-2025 parks master plan: https://content.civicplus.com/api/assets/cf7054b9-2edc-499c-b724-6d4bd48b4d4d?cache=1800

The trail extension along the CSX tracks is an exciting one, it will end up continuing north snaking along the back of the Wood St landfill (which a recent LSJ story reported has only 10 years of capacity BTW) and eventually connect to Granger Meadows. I'm also interested to see what they do to extend trail access north of Saginaw from Ranney Park.

I continue to be dumbfounded at the city's lack of effort in connecting the Moores Park Rivertrail dead end to the rest of the (very nice) Moores River Dr trail, as I am about their multi-decade delay in extending it northwest to Waverly/Grand Woods. They actually applied, and were denied, for funds from the trail millage in the most recent round to extend a trail through University Corporate Research Park as opposed to pursuing other much more important projects. Very disappointing.

https://cms3.revize.com/revize/inghamparks/Documents/Resolutions/22-352.pdf

EDIT: I saw you were asking about more than the city's master plans. They're scattered all over, some are a headache to find, the one's that aren't can typically be found by Googling "(municipalities name) parks master plan / trails master plan". I got sick of looking them up so I downloaded them and put them in a folder. I can email them or upload them together somewhere if there's any interest.

...On a completely unrelated note I'm reminded that I was looking up the airport's master plan a few weeks ago and they say they're working on a new one this year. Could be interesting.
  • edited March 2023
    No, I was just asking about the city parks & trails masterplan.
  • The landscaping of Ranny Park has begun, I noticed a lot of earth moving and the first trees being planted on the hillsides and around the ponds. I am hoping for a lot more trees!
  • Thanks reminding me of that, I was out taking pictures today and made sure to get by there to check it out. It's going to be a nice place when they're finished and it will only get better in the coming decades as trees and vegetation fill in.
  • At Ranny Park the crews have planted many more trees and started laying out the paths also creating small hills and valleys around the large hills and the new ponds. There is a large cement structure of some type being built, [ so far, a large wall] on the north end of the park. I was wondering what that might be, probably a retaining wall for the drain. It is great to see they really are making this park someplace special.