General Lansing Development

1487488489490491493»

Comments

• I looked back through the thread, and it seems hood did post that they'd put their Michigan Avenue building up for sale.

BTW, I noticed prep work is still being done in the Motor Wheels development area.
  • A couple of things worth sharing...

First, there's an LSJ story on BWL's impending construction of a RICE plant out on their Erikson property along with a few updates on their other plans and quotes from neighbors complaining:
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2024/04/30/bwl-gas-power-plant-lansing-delta-township/73497580007/

Second, I though it was interesting to see a retail shop back in the old Michigan Theater arcade, I hope to see the whole place lined with shops and restaurants again.
    https://www.facebook.com/lansingdowntown/posts/pfbid02JFw1G9pMfr1624QVRtNKvoXqEd2sXAyNWg1YLhyk2fPznfjRQQQQHmZUuh9S757Dl
  • https://www.wlns.com/news/proposal-to-sell-lansing-icons-heads-to-city-council/

I can't really articulate the level of pissed off I am just hearing that this is being discussed.

So it turns out there is some nefarious force within the City government that actually thinks it may be a good idea to sell off the Lansing Center, Groespeck and the Lugnut's ballpark. Somehow this is being brought up despite the Mayor not being in favor and none of the interviewed council members being explicitly in favor. Go figure. I'm sure backdoor deals and "lobbying" (bribing) efforts don't have anything to do with it.

Why are these the only assets expected to provide a direct positive net return to the city? How is it different than funding parks, or police, or roads, or any other asset that the city owns? This shows an incredibly stupid underlying thought process. The "return" that the city gets from investing in facilities and services is the overall tax revenue that the city generates. Much like a business, you have to invest to get a return, if you stop investing and improving you become uncompetitive and face decline.

I find myself with the feeling I've had too often over the past 5 or so years: If this latest dumb thing proposed actually comes to fruition, should I execute my Lansing exit strategy? The city is seeing more investment and development than ever in my life with more on the horizon while the metro's outlook is at least as positive, and yet there are forces behind the scenes trying to push some incredibly stupid things that could very well unravel 30 years of progress. It's dumbfounding.
  • What I get from this proposal is an effort to get the city council to stop looking at these assets as a drain on resources and maybe appreciate or understand the benefits of the assets. At least I think that is what this proposal is meant to accomplish and as it was pointed out that this will fail. Seems like an odd way to do it. I really am against privatizing our community assets that have been handed down to us by our forefathers and mothers. And also privatizing things like park maintenance have not kept the up the parks as well as when the city took care of them. I am sure that the landscaping companies do not provide their employees with the benefits a city employee would receive, and their only instruction for landscaping is get the grass mowed as fast as possible. For instance, Reutter Park looks like a forgotten piece of land on the edge of the city lately. Even with a little ghetto of under used trap shacks. If the city would treat the park like a beautiful green with more gardens maybe a real cafe/beer garden on leased income producing space in the park, and a working fountain the stays on until 11pm. I think a good thing for Lansing would be is if the leaders had more of an imagination about what makes a place that people want to visit and live. The money spent on these facilities can be "returned" with more tourist, more businesses, more housing, that will provide more tax dollars coming in and a better way of life for locals.