General East Lansing Development

Comments

• I just got accepted this week to MSU so I took a visit up there to check out EL. I was impressed with the new developments downtown. The building that housed Taco Bell was very nice and so was the building that has the CVS in it. I did notice some empty buildings. The first was the Thai Hut (I think thats how its spelled) its right next to some Koren church at the beginning of Downtown, and the other building was pretty close to the hut and looked like an old office building. Does anyone know if there are any plans for these buildings to be developed?
  • Just as a followup, the gas station proposed by Meijer got denied again at today's city council meeting.
  • More development is coming on Coleman Rd in East Lansing. From next weeks city council agenda:
    Introduce Ordinance No. 1183 and refer to the Planning Commission an
    ordinance to rezone the property at 3203, 3303 and 3341 Coleman Road,
    including the parcel of vacant land just west of 3303 Coleman Road, from the
    A Agricultural and BC Business Community Districts (DeWitt Township
    zoning) to the B-2 Retail Sales Business District (City of East Lansing
    zoning). The combined parcels to be rezoned consist of 10.06 acres.
    It looks like the sprawl is what is keeping the population of East Lansing steady. It's too bad that a city spends money to help out its business district yet shoots itself in the foot when it spreads businesses all around the city, making it just as beneficial to live near farms.
  • Found these items in the upcoming council agenda for EL, as I'm not familiar with the street names, I don't know exactly where it's at.

"Introduce and refer to Planning Commission proposed Ordinance 1187; An
    Ordinance to rezone parcels on Evergreen and Albert Avenue from B-1,
    General Office Business District and RM-32, City Center Multiple-Family
    Residential District to P, Parking district in order to develop a City-operated
    parking structure"

"Introduce and refer to Planning Commission proposed Ordinance 1188; An
    Ordinance to rezone parcels on Evergreen Avenue and Albert Avenue from
    B-1, B-3 and RM-32 to RM-32 City Center Multiple-Family Residential District
    and B-3 City Center Commercial District to rezone parcels on Evergreen. If
    approved the Ordinance would rezone these parcels from B-1 and B-3 and
    RM-32"
  • the items from the EL council agenda are about rezoning the properties where the new parking garage for the Michigan Museum/City Center 2 project is being built.
  • Could it be that this project is finally moving along?
  • from what i hear this project is "definitely" happening. i'm not sure if it will be the large overall plan that was originally proposed or something more scaled down, but i'm fairly certain that the main building on the corner of grand river and abbott will be at least 10 stories.
  • yeah, I'd say it is moving forward, it's just being kept somewhat quiet right now while the city is trying to acquire additional real estate. I would still say that the previous site plan with many buildings and parking structure is the current site plan.
  • I think what happened with this project was likely similar to what happenned to Stadium District. The developer got too excited and announced the plan in it's infancy. It seems that all the other projects announced in Lansing and EL have went through this phase in secrecy, so that by the time they are announced they are only about a year away from breaking ground.