Marketplace

Comments

• The Lansing State Journals is saying that construction should start soon on the City Market. The next step is to determine who to award the contract to for the construction. They said that they expect the market to be finished by October or November.
  • I hope Christman gets the job. Most all listed are capable, but Christman sticks out.
  • Took a few pics of the market, the other day. It was raining heavily, and cloudy as hell, as you all know, so the pictures didn't turn out great. It doesn't help that uploading them to my Flickr account reduced the already poor quality:

3443144775_a02849b675_o.jpg

3443144771_9b240f1e1b_o.jpg

3443144777_e2ae19ee11_o.jpg

3443144785_4897a40fb0_b.jpg

It's far from architecturally stunning, but I'm going to miss the old building, nonetheless.
  • Well, the LSJ reported, yesterday that all of the bids for the construction of the new market came in over budget, and not just a little over budget but over half-a-million dollars over budget. They go on to say that they are loosening up the rules and allowing bidders outside the region to enter.
  • New bids are back and they are still more than the $1.45M set aside to build the new Market. Interesting facts – the City closed on the old City Market site, but they are missing two things. The developer had to show proof of financing for the new development and the two letters submitted stated the banks would be interested in considering the project after proper documentation was submitted. This does not sound like proof of financing to me. Then there is this fact - City of Lansing Ordinance Chapter 245 City Market is still in affect.
  • LEPFA has picked a general contractor for the new city market. It came in at $1.6 million, which was the sale price of the market to Gillespie. I believe they were anticipating the construction to be ~$1.45 million leaving some money leftover for the patio/outdoor work and landscaping so who knows what will happen with that.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20090519/NEWS01/905190349
  • Just a heads up, but the Lansing City Website had a press release saying that the River Trail in the vincinity of the Lansing Center and City Market (i.e. the section between Shiawassee Street and the Lansing Center), was completely closed off for reconstruction until November. The detour will take you from the Lansing Center promenade, and then funnel you up along the Museum Drive sidwalk to Cedar, and then along Cedar down to near Shiawassee, and then back onto the trial.

Good to see things officially starting.
  • Boardwalk construction is in full construction on both sides of the river, now:

3652607931_6f38567373_o.jpg

3652607937_5222e10b98_o.jpg

3652607933_d78a08e3b3_o.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    Some renderings of the new riverwalk:

East Bank
    51_1.img

West Bank
    51_2.img
  • Work beginning on the City Market and boardwalk -

th_IMG_0075.jpg