General Lansing Development

Comments

• Not huge news, but Jim Epolito, interim CEO of Okemos-based Delta Dental, has resigned to pursue a career in venture capitalism. What is worth note as far as Lansing is concerned is that he's setting up his office in the second floor of the Downtown YMCA Building he owns. He also hopes to use it as a business incubator.

It's always been my wish that this building would get a new facade. It's one of the ugliest facades (along with Kositchek's) on the Square despite being a historic (1930) building. Kositchek's is actually a series of old storefronts merged into one from 1885.
  • I would rather just see the YMCA building go than to see it rehabbed in any fashion. It looks so small amongst the other buildings in that immediate area, besides being ugly.

I do agree that its good news anytime a new venture capitalist sets up shop, it means more opportunities for local entrepreneurs.
  • As does the fact that he's looking to make it a business incubator. Hopefully, this isn't the business incubator the city was hoping to set up, and we'd have two large business incubators, downtown. Forget about the SmartZone out in the experimental farms of MSU; let's concentrate in getting the one downtown off and running in a serious way.
  • I noticed Thursday night that the entire third floor (or second, depending on how you count the mezzanine) of the Knapp Center was lit. Not sure what this means, but it was very clear.
  • Have you been by since? Im curious if they might still be on. I haven't heard of anything, but will ask around.

When I win the lotto and buy it, I'm goung to count the mezzanine as a floor, so I'll say it was the third too.
  • edited January 2010
    EDIT: Back down there, today, Beatneck. It appears that the lights are still on. Oh, and I was wrong about the floor. The lights are on on the second floor (third, counting mezzanine), not the third floor (fourth, counting mezzanine).
  • Tonight in the State of the City address Mayor Bernero talked about and showed renderings of a "destination park" created from the Red Cedar Golf course. Hopefully we can see more soon.
  • That would be a great way to connect East Lansing with the eastside of Lansing. Can't wait to see more information.
  • Sounds like an idea with potential, I would like to see those renderings.