South Edge Lofts

Comments

• I like the incorporation of the facades, something I wish would be done for the development on East Michigan Ave. I think the building is a perfect size for the surrounding area. I wouldn't want to hold out for a high-rise proposal, as that could be decades out and at that point this new building could be demolished to make way for it.

I don't think we'll see any true high rises until all of the surface lots and underutilized spaces are built on. It will take quality in-fill, like this project, before we start to see space getting cramped and developers having to build upwards.
  • I think the size of the apartment building here is fine, although I do wonder why of all the possible locations downtown they would build apartments here, facing the freeway. As I said before, I hate the two floor office building on the corner, I hate both the fact that its two floors and that there's no retail facing Washington. I'd rather not see that office building get built, I'm largely indifferent to the apartment building although I do really appreciate that they thought to save and renovate the two older buildings.
  • I do like that they included the old facades, I was just wondering why they don't use them as a reference for the new building. I find the old facades visually more interesting, they look more urban than building that will surround them. This plan seems to be the right size, but I don't think apartments overlooking 496 is the greatest idea either, The upper floor windows would look right into the depression and then be filled with the white sided GM plant and the huge Eckert power plant and it's huge towers. Any other direction would offer better views.
  • edited January 2016
    I like the incorporation of the old with the new. I saw Simular ype of development in Toronto last fall. Old architecture facade with built into a completely modern new sky scraper.
  • Hmm, what a weird project. I liked the first design the best (minus the ground level garage). It seemed way more contemporary...but also probably quite a bit more expensive.

I agree that this latest arrangement is awkward. The commercial portion is cheesy. The brownstones on the service drive don't really make sense. And I'm afraid the new structure would diminish those cool old buildings.

That said, I don't know if this is a very high-stakes site and we should probably be rooting for infill anywhere in the downtown area.
  • edited January 2016
    Anywhere along Washington Square - literally the region's historic shopping/business main street - is a "high-stakes site" and particularly any corner sites. That said, we're not going to get anything different out of this. I'll hold out for something special on the other side of the freeway, because what we see here is what we're going to get.
  • I wouldn't say what we see here is what we get. The apartment building will likely either get built or not get built, but the listing for the office building still says "build to suit," so there's certainly a chance that we could get something different at the Washington/St Joe corner or that the apartment building could be built without anything going at the corner. Of course this project may never happen at all, there's nothing about this that screams "imminent construction."
  • I am thinking much the same thing, it is still at the could be stage and right now it is not so great. But I have found the conversion interesting, and I think may be the point if this site, to talk about what is and what might or even could take place in Lansing. I want anything built to be the best not just "well they did build something". I know that may not be possible in today's Lansing but I really don't know why.
  • Why do they announce in media all of these "would be, could be, hopefully" developments?
  • The owner/developers of land sometimes announce projects with prospective designs to gather interest from potential investors or future lease-holders. Many will wait until the tenants have signed on before starting construction, which helps with loans and reduces risk.